News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Universal Joints

Started by 19and41, November 20, 2015, 09:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I am going to try replacing my truck's 3 joints this weekend.   I've been studying the steps from my DVD-rom of the shop manuals.  That has been a great investment for only 13 dollars  Wish me luck.   :D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

RotarDad

I too have found the factory service manuals a great asset to have.  I've got hard copy for my current cars and they have been well-worth the Ebay dollars I spent on them.  Those, coupled with automotive model-specific forums really help.  Many of the online resources nowadays are excellent, even outside of the rotary phone area....;)

I remember my dad replacing U-joint back the day, but I've never tackled one.  I do wish you well!  Be sure to report back!
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Good luck, fingers crossed!!! ;)

When I got my '88 F150 not long ago, I didn't try looking for an Owner's Manual online. Instead, I found a PDF version of the Advertising Brochure for that year! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

Good luck!

I've done my own U-joints a couple of times.  The 1st time, I think it was on a Jeep YJ that I used to own, everything went great and it was a fairly simple and straightforward job.  I believe the joints were held together with circlips.

The 2nd time, on a GMC pickup, I was not so lucky.  On that truck, the joints were held together by plastic injected into the yoke at the factory.  My propane torch didn't cut the mustard when it came time to heat up the joint to melt the plastic inside.  So off up the hill I went on foot with my driveshaft on my shoulder to a guy that ran a garage at home.  With his oxy-acetylene torch he had no problem and he had the hot plastic squirting out of the holes in no time.

Hopefully, the joints on your truck use the circlip design or you have a decent torch.
Cliff

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Well. I got the u-joints replaced.  and i got the front driveshaft on all right, but the rear shaft's coupling sleeve will not go onto the spline out of the carrier bearing.  This has an extended cab and they put a short extra driveline as opposed to using a single longer driveline.  Ol' Bubba didn't have this problem in the video.
— Arthur C. Clarke

NorthernElectric

Quote from: 19and41 on November 21, 2015, 06:45:11 PM...the rear shaft's coupling sleeve will not go onto the spline out of the carrier bearing.

Can you get the bearing off?  It might be easier to assemble that way then prop the 2 piece shaft up with a chunk of wood while you position the bearing and bolt it back on.
Cliff

19and41

Yes, I've had the bearing off.  Without it's support, though it's a weighty issue trying to wrestle a driveshaft and a half.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Thought about it last night and tried something I came up with today.  I got a long handle dollar store tooth brush and a butcher knife and spooned out all the grease in the coupling sleeve and cleaned out most of the rest with the toothbrush.  cleaned off the grease from the splined shaft too.  I was then just able to force it on.  got everything back together in proper alignment and then stepped on my glasses as I was cleaning up.  Just took it out for a test drive.  that thing was like driving on a corduroy road before.  It is smooth now.  There were two bearings failed and each were filled with pulverized iron.   The carrier bearing was free and quiet so I let it remain.  Now to order some new spare glasses.
— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

Were horns blaring and people honking angrily while giving you the finger as you did the test drive without wearing your glasses? :)

Terry

19and41

Theyd've been honked If I was wearing them.  They're for close up.  :D
— Arthur C. Clarke