News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1936-1937 302s

Started by poplar1, January 19, 2015, 11:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I agree on the feet, they should have been riveted as we have seen on the early 37s.  The wood bumper is missing BUT everything else is dated '36. Base is IV36, 4H dial is III36 and the E1 is dated I36.  I would like to know the date on the celluloid dial plate but I say this is one impressive phone.

I would never pay that for it, but the seller started the auction at $19.36, rather brazen if it was not advertised properly, which fortunately....it was. I think he/she had no idea of the value and is just mildly happy   8).  Maybe not a trial set, but surely a first run. I have never seen a 302 with an earlier dated than IV36.

For a phone that is over SEVENTY EIGHT years old, I think it is a winner......as is the seller!!...Doug
Kidphone

andre_janew

With a new handset cord and a new line cord, it might turn out to be a working phone.

WEBellSystemChristian

Do you guys think this might be a field trial 302 housing? It's missing the HS cord opening on the side, and the rear mousehole is shorter and wider than the later types are. Not to mention the short cradle ears and small plunger holes. My guess is it's probably from early 1936, after reading Paul F's site.
I bought it for $14.50 + shipping.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/121553497109
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

The inside is different also: are those channels for the cords?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on January 28, 2015, 06:30:57 PM
The inside is different also: are those channels for the cords?
Possibly. They look more like ribs for support, as if the metal was thin or soft.
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Good catch finding this housing, Christian!

It's different from the I 36- II 36 metal D-97464 shown on Paul's site:
http://paul-f.com/wep302.html#D97464b

Kenton K

I was watching that. I didn't feel like bidding though.  ;D Nice catch.

Ken

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Kenton K on January 28, 2015, 07:41:32 PM
I was watching that. I didn't feel like bidding though.  ;D Nice catch.

Ken
Oh, man behind the curtain, eh? ;D

Thanks for the compliments, guys! What do you think I should do with it, or in other words, how should I display it? Refinish a junk 302 chassis and add an E1 with cords to it to look like an original "D-series" phone? Put it by itself on the shelf and leave it alone?

I would like to keep it, mainly because it's the only pre-production/prototype telephone artifact I have.

What do you guys think? ???
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Christian....nice catch. I was watching this and I know Jim Engle who is a long time collector with the ATCA eBay handle.  I saw the short ears but missed the handset mousehole that was missing. You just flip from pic to pic and looking for what is there, not what isn't ....if that makes any sense. I thought it would be next to impossible to find the plungers for this so I did pass. Maybe try filing down 5302 plungers? Put an E1 on it and you'll have a wonderful. Good eyes!....Great Price...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 29, 2015, 09:00:37 AM
Christian....nice catch. I was watching this and I know Jim Engle who is a long time collector with the ATCA eBay handle.  I saw the short ears but missed the handset mousehole that was missing. You just flip from pic to pic and looking for what is there, not what isn't ....if that makes any sense. I thought it would be next to impossible to find the plungers for this so I did pass. Maybe try filing down 5302 plungers? Put an E1 on it and you'll have a wonderful. Good eyes!....Great Price...Doug
Do you know if 5302 plungers are the same diameter as early 302 plungers? I know they're smaller than standard 302 plungers, and I was thinking about using them anyway, but I'm wondering if they would at least fit inside the holes. Otherwise, I can sand them down to the correct size.
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

Christian....I never tried. Its just the first thought that came to my mind when I saw this phone. You might get lucky with them....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 29, 2015, 09:35:29 AM
Christian....I never tried. Its just the first thought that came to my mind when I saw this phone. You might get lucky with them....Doug
I hope so. They look about right, but we will have to see.
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Copied here are the grooved/ungrooved F1 handle dates observed from another thread (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10968.msg118965#msg118965):

So far the ungrooved F1 handles found are dated as follows:

IV 36                    --Doug found painted green on a 202
3/37                     --K1WI's 3/37 302 NOS with 4H dial
3-08-37                --Ebay listing for separate handset (ended Feb. 2014)
4-29-37                --Sargeguy's 9-37 302 with 4H dial
5-37                     --Paul-f.com
5-20-37               
?                          --The 6-37 Ebay 302 that started this thread with 5H dial
6 07 37                   Kenton's handset he sold on Ebay
6 12 37                   jfehl's 6-37 302 sold March, 2015 (not the field trial set)
11-16-37              --Kenton found on a 202

The earliest grooved F1 handles found:

6 03 37  John's 7-37 field trial 302 #8121 sold March, 2015

6-12-37 (June 08)--poplar 1's 7-37 field trial 302 #8224 with dial blank

7 ? 37 -- mostly original 7-37 302 (not field trial) I purchased June, 2015
Others?

poplar1

Here is a 6-37 set with ungrooved handset (6 12 37) and 4H dial (149B dated II 37). Sold on the same day as the field trial 7-37 set #8221 by the same seller, for the same amount ($255).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1937-Western-Electric-302-Seamless-F1-Prototype-Handset-TELEPHONE-Parts-/161667865463

Up for auction today is a very RARE Western Electric 302 Desk set with the prototype, early production Seamless F1 Handset.

The telephone has a brass finger wheel #4 clicky-clack dial and the properly dated II 37 celluloid 149B dial plate.

This F1 seamless handset is dated on the inside cavity of the transmitter end 6 12 37. The transmitter element is dated 6-37 and the receiver element is stamped JUN 2 1937. The transmitter cap is dated 6 7 37 and receiver cap is dated 6 10 37.

The base of the telephone has an inside date code dated 6-37 for June 1937. The network component is dated II37. The ringer is undated as most 1937 302 originals were so I believe it to be original to the phone.

The telephone has the desirable vented finger grip common to only the early 1937 models.

Both the line cord and handset cord are replacements. The line cord has a modular plug on the end so it can be used if desired.

The phone has been tested and works in all respects.

Please check out my RARE 1937 Western Electric Field Trial 302 Desk set also up for auction this week.

poplar1

WANTED

Dates found on ungrooved (seamless) F1 handset handles, especially before 3 08 37 or after 6 12 37.

Also, of any grooved (seamed) F1 handsets made before  6 03 37.