News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'll Probably Regret This, But !!!

Started by Dan/Panther, January 01, 2009, 12:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Here is a picture of me at age 1 year 8 months, in June 1951 at our phone table.
Notice the 202, has no dial.
The photo was taken in New York, near Syracuse, in  a small town called Durhamville.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill Cahill

Looks like Ringo reversed age. Hey, Dan, where were you? Th city morgue?
Bill Cahill  :D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

mienaichizu

Steve

Looks like your listing to blind Willie Mctell!
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

McHeath

That's a cool picture!  You're lucky to have a picture like that.  Any idea where that phone went?

Dan/Panther

That was the same phone I recall using just before we moved out in 1956, so I guess it stayed in the house. The house has long since been torn down.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Oh! BTW, Bill Cahill was exactly one month old when this photo was taken, he probably had a diaper full of yellow mushy goo at the time.
D/P

Dan/Panther

I might have paid a little too much for it, but I got my dial less 202.

http://tinyurl.com/8yq3gq

D/P

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 04, 2009, 07:20:36 PM
I might have paid a little too much for it, but I got my dial less 202.

http://tinyurl.com/8yq3gq

D/P

Wow, D/P, that's nice!  I don't think you paid to much at all.  Besides, how can you put a value on reliving your childhood?  ;)

Dan/Panther

Mark;

It's Priceless. I'm currently looking for a telephone stand like the one in the photo. My Mom, now 81, still has the horse statue.
I'm trying to find our original phone number, she just doesn't remember, but we do have relative still in New York, that may recall.
I found a dial card that says ONEIDA, that was the neighboring town, and where I was born, they controlled all of the phones for the area. Our number was 3 digits and the letter-R, I think it was 324-R, I hope it turns out I'm right, if we ever find out.
It never seizes to amaze me, that if the police wanted that information, they'd have it in minutes, but when I need it, "Those records no longer exsist"
D/P

bingster

Dan, you may get lucky with that telephone bench--it's a fairly common model.  I see them occasionally on ebay, and you could change the upholstery to match whatever yours looked like.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

I found one today in Oklahoma. It's been refinished, but a light pecan color, my Mom said ours was a very dark walnut color.
The guy wants $150. 00. No bids yet. $47.00 Grayhound shipping.
Is that outrageous or reasonable ?
I really don't know furniture values. It seems high but maybe not.

D/P

McHeath

I don't know anything about the values of phone benches, so I'm a lot of help.  Is that little horse statue one of those fake bronze jobs with the little chain for a halter and the big rather Mexican kit looking stirrups?  I've got one of those, it was my grandparents, and I see them all the time at the junk shops and antique stores. 

bingster

I guess it depends on how bad you want it, and how quickly you want it, Dan.  It seems awfully high to me, though.  But it's been refinished, which is a plus.  You could probably darken it without too much trouble with some toner.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Dan, Great photo!  You are lucky to have that picture.  Nice shades too!

(I'm still catching up on posts I missed).