News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bakelite G1 Receiver Caps

Started by rp2813, January 18, 2009, 06:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

OK guys and gal, are we ready for some phone dating again?  This time it's about two different looking receiver caps for G1 handsets.  One is the cap that was on my 10/50 phone when I got it.  The orange dating is mostly worn off but I can sort of convince myself that the last two digits on it are "50."  On the inside, it's completely flat like an F1 receiver cap and has the same type of concentric ring pattern like an F1 cap.

I bought a replacement cap since the one I had was kind of pitted, but the cap that arrived looks the same inside as the later G1 caps made of plastic, with the raised center and trough all around the edge.

Does anyone know when they stopped making the earlier versions of the G1 receiver caps?

Thanks,

Ralph
Ralph

benhutcherson

I don't have a definitive date, but the caps on my '52 I believe are the same as you describe.

rp2813

Thanks, yes, that receiver cap is the type I have on my 10/50 phone.  The one that I ordered to replace it with does seem to be bakelite but has the later look of the plastic ones so I decided to put it on my 4/53, which had plastic caps.  That's a very clean looking handset assembly on your '52.  There are no dates to be found on mine.
Ralph