News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 501 1951 (mostly) - thoughts and cleaning advice please

Started by tubaman, June 15, 2018, 10:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Brilliant! - I imagine I was the cause of some hilarity in the sellers household. ;D
I intended to ask "When you pack the phone, please ensure that the body and handset can't knock together in the box. Please do not pack with the handset sitting on the phone".

At least the phone and handset were separately wrapped in reasonably thick wadges of newspaper, with the handset at the side of the phone.
The only other padding was a slab of polystyrene in the bottom of the box - nothing on top or at the sides, and no bubble wrap.
It was not packed full so the phone was sliding around quite nicely. The box itself is still in excellent shape so I think it was actually well handled in shipment (amazing!).
:)

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on June 16, 2018, 11:23:18 AMI showed the text to a native French reader. They didn't understand what was being asked.

From a French point of view, the translation back to English is:
When you package the phone up, make sure that the body and handset cannot get stuck in the box. Please do not package the handset sitting on the phone.

( our French reader laughed nicely, You have asked the seller not to sit on the phone to wrap the handset.  ;D  )..

Sorry to dig up an old post, but when I read it (my language being Canadian French, not France's), I laugh a little because I know I make mistakes when writing in English (which doesn't 's not my language , but a second language in Quebec ) When I read the French translation , I smiled because , yes ' Being seated on the phone ' or ' Do not stuck the handset on ... ' I would also have misunderstood. :) It was rather comical and these are the JOYS of languages, huh!