News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric wooden box phone (not a purchase though!!)...

Started by twocvbloke, April 14, 2014, 12:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I spotted this WE-labelled box phone today, marked at £150 at the crapshop (they have loads of old junk priced at extortionate prices), only got one photo cos someone else was taking pictures of it too with a rather large-lensed camera, but what I saw was that it had been retrofitted with what looked like either an E1 handset or a GPO 164 handset (they look quite similar), couldn't hang around though cos of the "No stopping at any time" sign.... ;D

I didn't buy it cos it was just too expensive, and I just don't have the money for it... :-\

Anyway, the one and only pic:

Sargeguy

These flat front versions aren't worth that much even with the original parts.  They were very common and made for a long period.  I bought a complete one for $75.  Without the transmitter or receiver and damage to the writing shelf, the value lies in how nice the parts are: ringer, magneto, switch hook and switchhook. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

I didn't even want to try and talk the price down with that place, they once had a couple of cheap chinese Mybelle phones that they wanted £50 a piece for, on phones that aren't worth 50p, that WE phone was in poor shape too, the picture doesn't really show it, but it was really in desperate need of restoration, the scratches and scrapes in the picture are worse in person, shame it's in their hands though... :-\

LarryInMichigan

That phone is definitely not worth £150.  Neither is the vinyl bag next to it for that matter.

Larry

twocvbloke

I didn't look at the bag, didn't even notice it infact cos I was looking at the phone... ;D