"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early (?) AE80

Started by Volvoguy, May 28, 2014, 12:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volvoguy

Hey everyone
I found what I think is an early AE80 at a flea market this past weekend. I say early meaning earlier than the later 60's ones I have. The features I've noticed that make me think so are the chrome plungers, black metal fingerwheel, and generally heavy weight all around. I also noticed that the receiver and transmitter caps are missing the center holes that the later ones have . Can anyone tell me more about it? I haven't plugged it in yet, so I don't know how it is working.

The dial is sticky at the moment, so I need to figure out the best way to clean that up. It will stick when you let it go, but with a bit of help it will spin back to it's resting position. Seems like a little lubrication would get it going.

Any comments will be appreciated!

AE_Collector

Yes one of the early models. The odd shaped feet, chrome plungers, metal fingerwheel, potted network rather than a PCB, usually a bakelite handset, handset cord exits at the back like the line cord. A good find!

Terry

BDM

Agree. Those early AE80s are nice quality equipment.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AE40FAN

Yes, early AE80's were quality very close runner up to the WE500.  Earliest example AE80's have the porcelain dials.