News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I need help with my WE 565 HDR+

Started by kwatter04, October 28, 2011, 03:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwatter04

I just bought a WE 565 HDR+ (my first multi-line phone, it has 6 buttons) and I am trying to get it to work.  I have been able to get a dial tone and been able to make a call out on it by hooking red and green line wires to the terminals marked 1R and 1T and pressing the first line button on the front of the phone. but it will not ring!  The ringer's red wire is currently attached to a terminal called "RR", and the ringer's black wire is attached to a terminal named "RT" (see picture) .  I tried to hook the ringer's red and black wires to R1 and T1 but that caused the phone to not work at all.  any ideas?

Adam

Connect the black and red wires from the ringer to the same R1 and T1, but make sure the ringer's other two wires (slate and red-slate) are hooked up to A and K on the network.

Some key system installations required that the slate and red-slate wires be connected together, but that would cause a problem if you're using the ringer across a regular telephone line, which is what you're trying to do.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

GG

From the factory, the ringer is connected to a wire pair in the base cord, that can be cross-connected to common audible ringing from the key system.

What Adam is saying is, move the ringer wires inside the phone, to the terminals for the telephone line you wish to have ring.  Now at that point the ringer will only ring on that line, not on other lines on that phone. 

Adam, where did you ever see slate and red/slate connected together in a KTS installation, rather than just left across A & K?  I did 1A2 for well over a decade and don't recall ever running across that before. 

Adam

GG, in a big 1A2 installation, if you use a diode matrix to control complex combinations of common audible ringing, you have to remove the capacitors from the ringers by bypassing the A and K connections on the network and connecting the ringer's slate and red-slate wires together (usually by just connecting them both to A, or both to K).

But, if the ringer is wired like that, with no capacitor, to a normal Tip and Ring circuit, it will load down the line.  That is what kwatter04 described in his original post when he tried to connect the ringer leads to T1 and R1.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

GG

Adam - I've seen those diode matrixes but never had to install one.  On larger 1A2 projects we used 584-C panels and Melco or equivalent 36-station intercom units, and never ran into trouble connecting the ringers normally (yellow/slate pair).  OTOH we also kept ringing "square" and didn't use overlapping combinations of ringing on common devices.

Everyone: what Adam is talking about is basically this:

Let's say you have 20 phones in a company that has some employees in Corporate, some in Sales, and some in Customer Service.  You want lines 1 - 4 to ring on all the phones.  You want lines 5 - 7 to ring on only the phones in Sales.  You want lines 8 - 10 to ring on only the phones in Customer Service. 

What Adam did was use a diode matrix, that enabled these combinations to work.  Thus the one bell in a phone in Sales would ring for lines 1-4 and lines 5-7, and the one bell in a phone in Customer Service would ring for lines 1-4 and lines 8-10, and so on, with complete flexibility. 

What me & mine did was to make liberal use of station buzzers and external ringer boxes, so the ringing groups could be kept separate but still provide an audible signal on each phone.  For example the Main line group would ring on the bells, and your Department line group e.g. Sales, would use buzzers.  If there were a lot of desks in one room, we'd put a ringer box or two up on the wall to prevent a cacophony of individual telephone bells sounding off all at once. 

My method worked OK, but Adam's method is the more technically elegant solution.