News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Home PBX Recommendation Discussion

Started by j.bridwell, February 04, 2010, 11:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savageje

Briny -- LOL...you must either live in a remote area or have patient neighbors. ;-)

I lucked into a retired Inter-Tel Axxess system that has a 16-port analog card in it.  I am remodeling the garage to partially house a telephone display area, and will eventually mount some 66-blocks and fire the thing up.  At some point, I'd like to tie it into an old 1A2 KSU so that I can restore and test key telephones -- but one thing at a time....

Greg G.

Quote from: savageje on June 01, 2010, 12:27:28 AM
Briny -- LOL...you must either live in a remote area or have patient neighbors. ;-)

These apts. are well made, I don't get or make many calls, and I work swing hours, so I can do things like this during the day when most everybody is at work.  The most they ever ring is when I'm testing a phone or goofing off, like in the video.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

davidbholcomb

Hi I have been doing lots of reading about home PBX's here on CRPF and I think the Panasonic is the one I want. I want to be able to use my analog dial phones along with my manual candlesticks to talk between them. I believe I can call one phone to the other with this system and not even be hooked up to my home phone line. I found this one on Ebay CLICK HERE TO SEE and I just want to make sure I am correct in my thinking after reading all that is here. (It seems like Latin to me sometimes) After getting this PBX I can run a small phone system in my office with the phones in my collection (excluding magnetos). Make each phone ring and talk between them. All this info has been overwhelming and in the end I believe this will do just what I want it to do. I am just looking for reassurance and making sure I have not overlooked something. This novice welcomes all comments.

Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

poplar1

616=6 outside lines and 16 extensions. You can call from one phone to another, dial 9 for an outside line, and answer an incoming call on any phone. For outside calls, 4 extension ports will ring at once, then 4 others, etc. All of this is the default programming. I think you can even have 2 phones sharing the same port so at least 32 phones can be connected. You may be able to connect the magneto phones to the outside line ports.

You would need a proprietary Panasonic phone to change any features  from the default programming. I know that some people use these for connecting rotary phones and having the Key System send out Touch-Tone to the CO/VOIP/whatever line. I don't recall whether the KSU sends out Touch-Tone if you have rotary phones  without reprogramming. Do you have a land line or what?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Owain

DavePEI has that model KX-T61610 so hopefully he'll pop in and tell you about it, or you could search for his posts.

davidbholcomb

Thanks again everyone, I jump right in and purchased it and will see what, this novice, can do with this. I like the idea of being able to turn off the system and only start it when I want to demonstrate the phones. I like that I can keep it separate from my phone line and yet at a future date, once I understand how it works, include my home line. I just recently switched over to Time/Warner Cable for our phone yet the rotary phones (302, D1) I have hooked up to the house still work great.
In my very simple terms I am thinking of this PBX as a central power switchboard on my very small phone system.
Poplar1 you mention "You may be able to connect the magneto phones to the outside line ports." This interests me and I will have to see if I can make that work, which would be very cool!
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

Phonesrfun

I think you will find that it will do everything you want, and probably even more.  I have one and I use it all the time.

-Bill G

BDM

Guy and gals, here is my question. I want to keep my called ID, but be able to plug in and use my phones anywhere in the house. So currently I have cable VoiP. What is the recommended PBX to use that offers this while still allowing dial phones and wont break the bank. Thanks for any suggestions gents.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

dsk

:) I am going in the opposite direction, and that may give some of the same needs.
I' am now trying out this one: http://tinyurl.com/qdtqg2c direct on the CO line. It has been working well for 3 months now. <First picture below $4.78>

I will hopefully during the summer be able to downgrade to a 100% mechanical exchange.

I have been wondering if I should have spent a little more on this one http://tinyurl.com/q8phmqx
but so far I keep to my plan. <Second picture below $55.55>

Not the best solution, but definitely lo-cost.

dsk

<pictures and prices added by AE_collector>

AE_Collector

Quote from: BDM on March 07, 2014, 08:18:06 PM
I want to keep my called ID, but be able to plug in and use my phones anywhere in the house.

Just to clarify Brian, you want to keep Caller ID working to your phones if they are all run through your Panasonic PBX? So that you can plug in a modern phone with built in Call Display as a station on the PBX and have the Call Display work. You worded it "Called ID" which sometimes refers to your phone number displaying on the call display of a person that you called which of course is generated at the CO end so your PBX would not cause any problems with that.

I am not familiar enough with the Panasonic PBXs to know if they pass through the Caller ID data or not but I suspect you might be correct in that they don't.

Many here have Panasonic PBXs in use so someone should be ale to quickly let us know about Call Display.

Dsk's solution is one I have used in the past where you send the straight phone line to each jack on one pair for call display units and/or answering machines and the second pair to each jack has the PBX station. Then you either install double jacks at each location or use the plug in "two line adapters" that separate out each pair to their own jack.

Terry

Phonesrfun

I think Brian was wanting to know which models/brands of PBX will pass caller ID.

The Panasonic 308/616 group will not pass caller ID on to extensions that are ringing.  This goes for any kind of incoming line whether it is from a legacy POTS line from a telco or a VoIP provider such as Comcast or Vonage or someone else.

The solution I found is to put a separate caller ID box on the line ahead of the PBX, like DSK has suggested.  The problem is, as Brian has said, you still cannot have caller ID show up on the extensions plugged into the PBX.

So, at this point, I can tell you that the most popular series of electronic PBX, the Panasonic 308 or 616, don't pass caller ID.  I don't know which ones will.  What ever ones will, they are likely to be more expensive and newer than the 308/616 group, and being newer, might not support the analog phone, much less rotary dialing.
-Bill G

twocvbloke

The only phone system I know of that can pass the caller ID is the higher end Nortel systems, back when I suffered working on a help desk, our phones would display incoming numbers so we could log them on the system, wasn't 100% reliable though, and I doubt that an analogue telephone with caller ID would work on those even with an ATA in place... :-\

dsk

Phonesrfun

The description is somewhat ambiguous.  It talks about only analog phones will work and in the caller ID section it says that the phone line needs to provide caller ID (a given), but it uses the DTMF acronym in that section, which confuses me.

I would bet that it might not be able to convert pulse to DTMF, but maybe an email to the maker of the SOHO phone would answer the question.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

That unit does a lot of things but I would be surprised if it DID convert DP to TT. I thought most Call Display was fsk though they imply there is a DTMF version of Call Display which would pass through it. The trick there is the CO/Telco has to send it in DTMF mode which I have never heard of.

The newer Norstar systems including BCM's (not BDM's!) pass Call Display to their Digital stations but I highly doubt they would pass it to their Analog stations though I am not certain.

Terry