News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Silencing the ringer on command

Started by mmd, June 05, 2011, 10:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmd

Ok so heres the deal. I have a single line that rings to 2 numbers. One is home, the other is my office number. I have two phones on it, my we302, and an att 993 work phone. During normal hours, im ok with both phones ringing, but when im working doing call center work with the office line, its annoying that not only does the office phone beep in my ear then auto answers to a call, but the we302 does a short strobe of the bells too, which is annoying as its announcing to the whole house that i got a new call coming in. Is there any way to easily silence the ringer? Sometimes my boss will be around and use tne we302 with the transmitter removed, to monitor the call for quality purposes, so it needs to remain functional. After work hours, i want it ringing though as when im out of my office, i can hear that phone more than the att.
Brandon
Western Electric 302, 500

paul-f

There are several options, Brandon.

The classy one is to replace your 302 with a 305, which has a switch to cut off the ringer.

If you want to keep your current 302, you can unhook one of the ringer leads that goes to tip or ring and run it through a simple switch.

The switch can be installed at either end of the existing line cord, or in the middle of a line cord.  For the last 2 options, you can run the disconnected ringer wire through an unused line cord conductor, and have the switch connect it to its original connection point.  (You'll obviously need a line cord with three or more conductors to do this.)

There were a number of switches that were made to clip on the bottom edge of the phone housing or tape on with double sided tape, and have 2 wires that can be routed inside the phone to make the connections inside the phone.  No holes need to be drilled and the switch is conveniently close to the phone.

Alternately, a switch can be connected using a terminal block at the far end of the line cord.

If this is too brief, ask for details.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

mmd

So on the ringer, any wire can go to a switch, and not cause issues with either phone? In that case its rather easy.
Brandon
Western Electric 302, 500