News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just acquired Painted 302 Question from a newbie

Started by Gilas, May 04, 2012, 04:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

I just purchased this "lovely" metal base 302 and wondered if anyone could tell me some more about it.  I JUST recently started in this hobby and have mainly been tinkering with 500's.  The base is marked with H1 on the back the handset is marked (under all that paint) with what appears to be F1W.  AS you can see the inside is stamped with 11-37 and there are some parts that will need to be repaired/replaced.  So a couple of questions for the newbie if anyone has the time.

1) Any more information in general on the phone would be appreciated
2) What is the best way to take this paint off the phone safely?  Does the same apply on how to get the paint off the handset?

Any other pointers or suggestions would always be welcome I am here to learn.  BTW it cost $20 and I figured for that I could afford to learn on it.

Mike

Gilas

Here are the pics

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum...you have a Western Electric 302 with the base 11/37 November of 1937 and the coil dated IV 37 fourth quarter of 1937. Good start, it look like it was painted blue and then painted black and needs to be stripped. The ringer is not dated and looks like a later add. The dial is not an Western, looks like a newer Automatic electric. Handset has Western Electric and no mention of the Bell System, so most likely a phone for the  independent companies not in the Bell System or the handset was replaced later on. Check the dates on the elements inside the handset, but probably a later add. It is a good start, you want a WE dial (dials are important) and better cords, preferably cloth. Trying to get all to get dates to match is hard. You are on the right path....good luck...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Nice find, good price for an early 302. I agree on the handset, the F1W marking indicates it was supplied to an independent. The fact that the ringer is newer also supports that, it was probably supplied without one so they could add thier own frequency ringer. Is the fingerhold area in the back vented?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

Gilas

No vents so does that mean that the body is 38?  Either way looks like a frakenphone and yes the dial was Stromberg Carlson.  So best to clean and use for parts or worth attempting to restore?  Either way I am happy because as I stated I would rather learn on a phone that cost 20 and I cant really ruin rather than a real nice phone.  Any advice is always welcome and thank you all for your responses so far

poplar1

It appears that this is the earlier version 302 with the small buttons and small ears. I disagree that the ringer is newer---check out the spade lugs; they are soldered on as are the other spade lugs. ISTR that the earliest ringers did not have the date stamped on them. I would definitely try to find some other 1937 parts: the dial could be the 4H (as used on 202s) that they were still making in 1937; not sure of when 5H dials first came out (1937??)--can anyone verify the dates of 5H?  Also, the handset could be E1 or F1 in 1937.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Gilas

I just found another post on here where he also found a 37 302 and the ringer etc looks the same and was not marked.  When I checked http://vintagephone.com/HB302.htm it seems that besides the non WE dial the rest seems accurate.  It seems that the 37 late ones at least were possibly made with and without vents?  So now to find a 1937 4 or 5 dial lol and I should be in business I believe at least.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Gilas

LarryInMichigan

This dial is a Stromberg Carlson.  It might have been installed by an independent telco.

Larry

Gilas

Well thanks to everyone and their guidance I finished the 1937 302.  As you can see from the beginning pics it wasn't the prettiest thing but with a new 5h dial and alot of work I think it turned out alright.  Eventually I will try and find a 37 dial to complete it but for now it's in the living room and my new daily phone.  Again thank you all that helped and took the time to answer a newbies questions. 

Gilas

Yes cloth cords are in route as well but I couldn't wait  :)

Doug Rose

WOW! Simply outstanding. What a beautiful restoration. Utterly amazing....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Well done! 

You certainly "earned your stripes" on that set.

So, do you have the next five projects lined up yet?  Soon the phones will be taking up every square inch of space...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line