News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 591 vs 500 Value

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 21, 2012, 11:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

And, by the way, just because any of these ITT sets have nuts and bolts attaching the network and switch hook, doesn't mean they were reconditioned.  A certain class of phones made by ITT came this way from the factory, as different networks and switch hook contact arrangements were optional.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE_Collector

Quote from: Adam on May 22, 2012, 11:53:07 AM
This hasn't been mentioned on this board in a while, but everyone, please try to remember, those long URLs break the page for some of us using certain browsers.  Please always shorten URLs posted here.  Thank you.

I went in and "adjusted" it. I tried to count how many digits I was able to remove but I lost track. way over 100 I would guess. If the ebaY link has the /itm/ in it (they don' always) keep everything up to that point and then put the 12 digit number right after the / that follows itm and get rid of alll the rest of the crap.

Terry

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on May 22, 2012, 11:38:21 AM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 22, 2012, 06:30:19 AM
I have a turquoise Kellogg/ITT 591.  I posted about it here: forum link.

Larry

Hi Larry-

I believe what you actually have is a set that was refurbished either in a shop or by an individual, using Kellogg K-500-series plastics with a Western Electric 591 base.

It also appears as if they may have changed the network and/or switchook judging by the rivets that were removed and replaced with screws. It would be interesting to see photos of the inside.

Mix-and-Match was not an uncommon practice by the refurbish shops.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180826910821

Even though neither myself nor others were unable to initially find catalog information for the ITT/Kellogg 591-series, it became rapidly apparent they existed when several collectors submitted photographs of instruments in their collections. So much for experts!

After much searching, I finally came across a manual showing seven models of the ITT/Kellogg's 591-series.

The first five were available only in black while the last two were available in colors as shown in the table below.

Shortly after this catalog was issued, ITT/Kellogg re-vamped their numbering system and no longer attempted to emulate WECo's model designations.

00 Black
02 Red
03 Brown
04 Yellow
05 Green
06 Blue
07 Beige
08 Gray
09 Ivory
10 Turquoise
11 Rose Pink
12 Aqua Blue
13 Light Beige
14 Light Gray
15 White
The above color table will be extended as required on assignment of new codes.

paul-f

Quote from: G-Man on May 24, 2012, 10:59:17 PM

After much searching, I finally came across a manual showing seven models of the ITT/Kellogg's 591-series.

The first five were available only in black while the last two were available in colors as shown in the table below.

Future experts would appreciate it if you tell us the name and date of the catalog and contribute a scan of the catalog to the Library.

More of the later colors can be seen in the Kellogg 500 section here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm#Kellogg

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line