"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My name is Brian and I have Phoneitis

Started by brshaffer, September 10, 2013, 09:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brshaffer

Hi Everyone!

New to the forum and to the hobby.  I'm 28yo and live in Philadelphia.

This all started back in April when I bought a black 702BM Princess at a thrift shop for $5.  It was spattered with white latex paint, filthy, and the ringer didn't work.  An evening's work had it cleaned, conditioned, and ringing happily with no damage from the paint removal.  

Then it got serious :-).  I now have 8 phones: an additional white Princess, a WE202 from 1932 with 4H dial, a metal WE302 from 1940, a plastic WE302 from 1947, another plastic WE302 that I plan to sell in the future (I bought it just for the fun of reconditioning), a green WE500 from 1966, and a brown rotary WE Trimline.  I use a X-link BT gateway and a Viking ring voltage booster to use all of them with my  
cell phone.

I got the phone bug because I love antiques that operate; something you can actually use rather than it just looking pretty on a shelf.  I have a very large collection of pre-war and post-war Lionel trains that my Dad and I have built over the past 20 years.  We're both members of the Train Collectors Association.  I love fixing them and operating them.  I also have collections/experience in radios/amplifiers, cameras, slot cars, electric guitars, classic cars, etc.  The phones hit the same nerve the rest of these do--I can fix them and they really work!  

I know I still have a lot to learn, but this forum has been a great resource as I cut my teeth on my first few projects.  I've already diagnosed wrong wirings, replaced a ringer, and dissembled & reconditioned several dials (4H, 5H, and 6A).

That brings me to my latest acquisition--a WE307, for which I'll direct to the following post:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10136.0

Thanks!

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Yes thanks for stopping by the CRPF Brian. Were glad you came to visit and look forward to pictures of approaching 100 phones by the end of the year!

Terry

WesternElectricBen

dsk

stub

Brian,
         Welcome to the CRPF ;D!!!!!!!!!! No known cure for Phoneitis :o  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Contempra

Doug Rose

Kidphone

HarrySmith

Welcome Brian! The first step is admitting the disease! Now you will need more room for your collection!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Contempra

Its a cool & funny hobby...i'm addicted on this hobby and hope that Brian discover this hobby like me :)...I like this site anyway . ;D

DebbieDoo

This phoneitis sounds serious....you should probably get it checked out.  lol  ;D