"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Compact AE32 Subset wiring for Automatic Electric 1A Telephone

Started by handworn, May 20, 2012, 09:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Matt,
        Did you hear any loud pops in the receiver while you were dialing?
Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

poplar1

Did you try moving the wire from the far right dial terminal to the one that currently does not have anything connected?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

handworn

I don't remember that having been suggested before.  Do you mean the middle terminal that would ordinarily have that rigid metal bridge running from it to the second-from-the-left terminal, currently replaced with a short wire?

Quote from: poplar1 on August 08, 2012, 12:18:33 AM
Did you try moving the wire from the far right dial terminal to the one that currently does not have anything connected?

poplar1

I didn't see the piece of wire; so if that too is removed, then that would free up that gold-colored screw which is 3rd from left. Moving the wire from 5th screw (furthest to right) to this one, then the two contacts that are making properly would short the receiver out during dialing in order to suppress the clicks. (I suggested this in reply #66 8/6/12 9:01 AM). This is not quite as good as the original circuit once you get the proper dial, but is better than nothing.

handworn

Hey all.  Stub helped me find an AE dial I could cannibalize, and after some fiddly part-swapping, the phone now works!  And looks great on my antique rolltop desk.  I wish its headset tone were a little louder, but maybe that's how they were in the 1930s (since there wasn't so much electronic amplification then).

Anyway.  My sincere gratitude to everyone who helped!  You guys rock.

poplar1

Make sure the diaphragm on the receiver is not bent or rusty.

stub

Matt,
        That's great!! You hung in there and overcame!! Now you know it's about time to get another one  ;D  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

What does the diaphragm look like?

Quote from: poplar1 on March 14, 2013, 01:34:01 PM
Make sure the diaphragm on the receiver is not bent or rusty.

poplar1

It is the thin, flat metal disk that you see when you remove the receiver cap. If it is painted on one side, the painted side should be facomg out.

See photos in reply #13 in link below:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5552.0

wfs1933

i seem to now have a handset with the same 3 wires going to the reciver like the picture (ae #38 handset) i am completely lost  it seems to have no attaiction for the diaphrain  how can this be wired  ?

AE_Collector

Which picture are you referring to wfs?

Stub can help out more but if the receiver unit itself in the handset has three leads it s an induction coil handset and is for use with an AE phone that is designed for an induction coil handset. These phones look the same on the outside but use a different wiring scheme. It wont use the normal 1A set to a 32 subset wiring.

Check this topic to see if it is what you have:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11490.0

Terry

stub

wfs1933,
             If you are a TCI member you can go to the Singingwires Archives , 05 - 2014 , pgs. 7-8 , " Connecting AE       Induction-coil Handsets to Monophone Desksets ", by Mr. Meyer , might be helpful for you. The early induction-coil receivers (281582 ) were only 95 ohms and had to have the external wire wound 205 ohm resistor and the handset cord has 3 conductors. Some time later ( 1934 ? ) the external resistor was replaced by winding it inside of the receiver  ( 295 ohms - 282251 ) 2 conductor handset cord and they both look identical. No subset is needed for either type of induction coil handset . To find out which one you have ohm between terminals 2 and 3 with other wires disconnected. 95 ohms needs the external 205 ohms resistor and 295 ohms won't . You will need a ringer box.
              Here's diagrams that might help - 1st one -early induction-coil receiver with resistor and 2nd one- the later version with no external resister.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wfs1933

Thanks! i am also glad i only need a ringer and not the subset
it was stupid of me not to first look in the tci libary first.
i seem to have the older one with the coil  im sure this phone has never been touched.