News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RV and Old phones.....

Started by LoveOldPhones, November 04, 2016, 10:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

OK.... so I was wondering... does anyone travel in an RV and bring their old phones with them ?  hooked up ?

I'll be doing some extended camping in the spring and summer and I would sure love to have some of my phones with me.   
I will have an internet phone connection so only one will ring at a time.

if anyone actually uses their phones in their RV.... would like to hear about it.
not sure it can be done.... but as long as the internet connection is a good one.... I don't see why not since they are working on my internet connection
here at home.

ok  thanks.

WEBellSystemChristian

I don't know all the specifics, but you would need a decent power source for the mechanical ringers.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Jim Stettler

I have a swirled blue/yellow SC Slenderet "Swirlee". It was an un-official color set. The guy made it to match his RV.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

GEMA (Georgia Emergency Management) had a RV to travel to disaster sites. It was equipped with a 6-line key system and 6-line proprietary phones. 3 lines on the key system were cell phone lines, using adapters similar to the X-link BTTN. The other 3 lines were connected to jacks on the side of the RV. When the RV was parked, local central office lines could be connected to these jacks.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: Jim S. on November 04, 2016, 11:44:28 PM
I have a swirled blue/yellow SC Slenderet "Swirlee". It was an un-official color set. The guy made it to match his RV.
Jim S.

well thats interesting... at least we know he made it for his RV.  lol

Bill

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on November 04, 2016, 10:27:41 PM
... does anyone travel in an RV and bring their old phones with them ? <snip> if anyone actually uses their [old] phones in their RV.... would like to hear about it. not sure it can be done.... but as long as the internet connection is a good one.... I don't see why not since they are working on my internet connection here at home.
When you are at home, are you sure that your old phones are working via your Internet connection? Or are they working via your cable connection? For my digital phones (Roadrunner in one location, Cox in another), the digital phone signal comes in on the same coaxial cable that carries the TV and the Internet signals, but aside from using the same piece of cable, it is not related to either one. In both cases, a special phone modem is needed, to demodulate this signal and feed the phones.

In other words, though the phone signal comes in on the same cable as the Internet signal, it is not part of the Internet. And having access to the Internet will not bring in the phone signal.

Bill

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: Bill on November 08, 2016, 02:32:11 PM
When you are at home, are you sure that your old phones are working via your Internet connection? Or are they working via your cable connection? For my digital phones (Roadrunner in one location, Cox in another), the digital phone signal comes in on the same coaxial cable that carries the TV and the Internet signals, but aside from using the same piece of cable, it is not related to either one. In both cases, a special phone modem is needed, to demodulate this signal and feed the phones.

In other words, though the phone signal comes in on the same cable as the Internet signal, it is not part of the Internet. And having access to the Internet will not bring in the phone signal.

Bill

I use magic jack and they work fine.  I got some of those pulse to tone adapters and the rotary  phones work fine.
I don't have a landline connection right now.... and when I start extended camping ...  i will have an internet connection.... so the phones should continue to work just fine.   one at a time for the moment.... but...  they should continue to work.....  at least I hope so.  lol