News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

mis-machined

Started by Babybearjs, January 15, 2016, 09:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

enclosed are 3 pictures of one of my 464's. when I got this phone, it came with a #7 buzzer. I removed the bracket and went to install the bell and ran into this problem.... mis-machined screw holes....  no matter what bell I tried to install... the results are the same.... held in by only 1 screw. It works, but the question remains.....Why did they do that???  If I change the mounting, I can only use 1 of the original holes... have you ever run into this problem??
John

rdelius

The ringers had different mounting hole spacings.Might have been WE vs NE.

Babybearjs

Ooh.... could that be my situation.... I didn't think about the branding.... was there a compatibility issue back in the day?? I thought I size fit all....
John

rdelius

Some of the later ringers had oblong holes.The different spacing might have been uniphones vs WE built 302 and 400 series sets with the rigid ringer mount actually 251? sets .NE ringers might have plastic covering on the coils and a golden tone to the metal finish.Older ones date in black stamped month ,day,year.WE date in red ink.There could be some errors here as it has been years since i built telephones

Ktownphoneco

Any of the Northern B1A ringers I've come across, use the same hole spacing as those produced by Western, which appears to be 5/8th's of an inch apart.      Even the first ringer used on the Uniphone, which was a "NB1A", and used a spring style of clapper pivot, has the same hole spacing as the later "B1A" ringers.    The only difference in the ringer's frame, was the width of the notch at the top, between the gong mounts.     The "NB1A" has a notch that's 3/8th's of an inch wide, and the later "B1A" has a notch that's 3/4's of an inch wide.

A possible work around, is using a piece of 1/8th inch thick piece of flat stock, cut to an appropriate length, with 2 mounting holes at the same spacing as the buzzer mount, and counter sunk, so as not to interfere with the mounting of a "B1A" ringer.       Then drill and tap 2 additional holes to match up with the hole spacing in the "B1A".   The machine screws mounting the ringer to the flat stock would need to be a specific length, so that they don't start pushing against the flat stock underneath.     Cut to the proper length, the 1/8th inch flat would be almost hidden by the ringer once it's installed.     The ringer sits under the dial area, but I don't think raising it's height inside the set by an 1/8th of an inch will cause any problems.
I can make one for you if you don't have the tools.   

Jeff Lamb

andre_janew

Also, filing the holes with a round file and giving them an oblong shape may  help as well.  A 5/32 inch round file would work for holes for #8 machines screws and a 1/8 inch for #6.