News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why traditional phones are the best...

Started by twocvbloke, April 04, 2013, 03:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Just had to "fix" the cordless phone (a Motorola thing, not my BT Studio phone) as for some reason it was holding the line open and causing an Engaged tone for callers trying to get through (the advantages of mobile phones and text messages to let us know!!), turned out the software on the handset had locked up, and was causing the base to hold the line open when it should have hung up... ::)

So, if this isn't proof that a real phone with real switches & wires and the only software involved is the flesh in one's hands, I don't know what is!!! :D

I know there are cases of vintage phones holding lines open due to bad or faulty wiring, but, at least that's something you can see, unlike with software where you can't see where the fault lies and rectify the problem to prevent it happening again, but then the easy way to deal with software faults on cheap cordless phones is usually with a hammer... ;D

(If only I was allowed to do so on the motorola!!!)

Russ Kirk

I agree,  nothing works better than the older sets.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

southernphoneman

Quote from: Russ Kirk on April 04, 2013, 03:46:02 PM
I agree,  nothing works better than the older sets.
I have said it before and I will say it again. the older the phones get they better they work. my oldest phone is my 202 from 1936,and it works better than some of my 500s.that much is true in my collection anyway,i can t speak for anyone else.

FantomLightning

Completely off topic, but you wouldn't happen to be twocvbloke from VacuumLand would you? If so nice to see you around again.

twocvbloke

Quote from: FantomLightning on April 07, 2013, 05:12:08 PM
Completely off topic, but you wouldn't happen to be twocvbloke from VacuumLand would you? If so nice to see you around again.

Yep, same one, haven't done much with vacuums lately though, aside from selling one or two off and getting a Sebo power nozzle for the Tristar... :D

Somewhere in the old threads here there's some posts from Brandon Tuomikoski too, and possibly a few others that I've not noticed myself (terrible memory for names!!)... :)

FantomLightning

Odd to run into you here of all places, I knew from the off topic forum that you were into older telephones. Small world I guess, even more so when the Internet is taken in to account.  :)

twocvbloke

Well, just like vacuums, I like older technology that was built when quality & reliability were the priority of manufacturers, that and vintage phones are cool...  :D

I've come across a few people from vacuumland since I was ousted, via youtube, ebay and other places, so yep, it's definitely a small world, but this forum is definitely one of the nicest parts of the internet, so many friendly and helpful people here, with plenty of fun stories and history to read through... :)

FantomLightning

It is very nice here, such a stark contrast from what VL has been turning into as of late...  :-\

WesternElectricBen

HowardPgh

I like old phones because they don't need batteries (which die at inoppurtune times) or electric power (that goes off in a bad storm) to work.
I know some old phones need batteries if they happen to local battery phones.
So in our house we use 2500s and 302s and one cordless because it has the answering machine in it.
Howard

twocvbloke

Up until I replace the batteries in that motorola cordless (which also houses the answering machine), it kept cutting out at inopportune moments, the batteries (AAA NiCads I think) I later tried charging in a proper charger, and they wouldn't take a charge at all, so, yeah, never trust the batteries included with anything... :D

But I prefer not to use that phone, cos I just don't like how it has to be held (basically you have to hold it with your fingertips, or press it to your face with the palm of your hand), and of course I have a habit of inadvertently pressing the buttons when using it, so, a proper vintage handset is much better as they tend not to come with buttons (unless it's like my MOD Mk28 with it's Push-to-talk button), and can be held with the whole hand comfortably... :)

Still, regardless of the type, wired phones are much better, line power is pretty much always on, so no need for unreliable battery power... :D

southernphoneman

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 08, 2013, 11:42:55 AM
Up until I replace the batteries in that motorola cordless (which also houses the answering machine), it kept cutting out at inopportune moments, the batteries (AAA NiCads I think) I later tried charging in a proper charger, and they wouldn't take a charge at all, so, yeah, never trust the batteries included with anything... :D

But I prefer not to use that phone, cos I just don't like how it has to be held (basically you have to hold it with your fingertips, or press it to your face with the palm of your hand), and of course I have a habit of inadvertently pressing the buttons when using it, so, a proper vintage handset is much better as they tend not to come with buttons (unless it's like my MOD Mk28 with it's Push-to-talk button), and can be held with the whole hand comfortably... :)

Still, regardless of the type, wired phones are much better, line power is pretty much always on, so no need for unreliable battery power... :D
that's for sure. I have one cordless phone which I will not use, I only use the answering machine part of it. IT IS VINTAGE PHONES ALL THE WAY.