"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The manual GPO 706F and its guts...

Started by twocvbloke, June 22, 2012, 12:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: gpo706 on June 23, 2012, 06:00:32 PM
Well you might be able to use the recall button to get dial tone on hook, but you would then need to remove the handset to flash the hook?

Not quite, the switch has 3 terminals, Input (or Output), and NO and NC, if you connect the Input to the A wire on T18, and remove the strap between T18 and T19, aswell as the strap in the BT52A, then use a wire to jump between T19 and T17, then connect the NC wire to T19, and finally isolate the NO wire on one of the spares, you therefore have a way to interrupt the line in a similar manner to using the hookswitch... ;D

The switch when used as an Earth-loop Recall uses the NO wire connected to T9 and the Output to T15, I haven't the foggiest how that works as I've not got anything that works with such functions... :D

twocvbloke

Well, I came up with a solution, repairing the handle to use as a handle wasn't working, so every time I refitted it, the plastic broke off, so, I decided to cut off the handle section and convert the ends into the escutcheon plates, and so far, it's a success, looks like a rough job, but it's keeping the lid on and allowing the hookswitch to move freely and work properly... :)

HarrySmith

That handle looks like a pretty simple piece. If you have an original one to use as as a pattern you should be able to make one fairly easily.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

I thought so too before I got this phone, but on the back there's a set of clips that attach the handle to the case, so they'd have to be made up aswell to hold everything in securely, so not as simple as it looks... :-\

I'm sure I'll get a better handle at some point, but for now I'll just have to try and not carry it about... :D

twocvbloke

Well nuts!!! I was meant to be bidding on a set of 706 parts (handle, escutcheons & buttons) that Owain put me onto, and I forgot about them!!! :o

I really am being completely useless with auctions at the moment, I suppose I have a good reason though as my brother's currently in hospital after being attacked, so, my mind is elsewhere.... :-\

I dunno, at least the escutcheons I made out of the ends of the broken handle are holding, just so long as I don't so anything with the phone for now... :D

gpo706

Mr GPO spares has realised there is a gap in the market:

http://www.gpospares.co.uk/

http://www.gpospares.co.uk/images/706_carryhandle.jpg

They look a lot sturdier than the originals.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Yeah, I went to them first when the handle broke, and to be honest, I don't put much faith in the design of the handle regardless of who made it... :D