News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Haf's telephone collection

Started by Haf, February 24, 2013, 01:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haf

Here are some pictures of what I collected so far. I'm not specifically a telephone collector  but want to set up my new home in 1930's style with all time related equipment (the only thing I don't want to miss is a computer and internet, but will hide that) and telephones are an important part of it.
As I learned from this forum if I want to do it right I have to choose between AE and WE as it wasn't possible to have a mix of both in private homes those days. By chance it was AE.

So, I have two AE 21 Wall, one booster circuit, missing the transmitter, dial and the receiver cap and diaphragm. The other one is a 21 too, but serial circuit and dated May 1928 on transmitter and condenser. The voice quality of the transmitter needs getting used too but it works fine. Both are original condition and original paint,I only cleaned, polished and waxed them. Originally they had a matt finish but as I know people liked to polish them those days too as the more glossy look was popular to many. Something maybe from interest, the one on the right has a different lock mechanism which I've never seen anywhere in AE catalogs before. And it has a little hook underneath what I suppose to be a phone directory hanger.

My AE 21 candlestick, I got it connected to a American Electric magneto ringer box but disconnected it for later use with a more modern subset. Original condition and paint only missing the clear plastic from the dial card retainer. It came with luminous plastic but that mostly covered the old "long distance" card so I have to get myself another old clear plastic.

Now some nice phones I couldn't resist to buy but don't fit into my idea I already explained.

An AE LPA pay phone from around the 1960's. Was rebuild by Telephone Repair & Supply Company Chicago 1973 and is missing the coin mechanism and wired for home use. As shipping to Germany was $105 and most sellers on ebay don't even ship abroad I had to take what was best under that circumstances :)
The instruction card I got as scan from DavePEI, thanks again. And sorry for all of you from Alaska and Hawaii missing "their" star on the flag ;)

Haf

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

A functioning Kellogg 817 wall phone in as stored around 50 years ago condition. Didn't even cleaned it in any ways. It has a WE 2AB ? (not marked) dial which was changed obviously very long ago. When I opened the dial center there was even was the original dial card underneath, the "new" one just sticks on the plastic.

And the last one remained from old German phones I used to have, a Siemens & Halske wall phone hanging at my fathers home and is in daily use. I presented it to him as both are from the same year, 1937.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

AE_Collector

An LPA version 3 slot Payphone with the "open bucket" coin return is a nice one to have. If 30's and 40's is your timeframe nothing would look better than an AE 40 desk and 50 wall phone!

We will have you saying that you ARE a phone collector soon :)

Terry

Haf

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 24, 2013, 01:59:54 PM
If 30's and 40's is your timeframe nothing would look better than an AE 40 desk and 50 wall phone!

I was thinking of an AE 34, fit's to my Ronson touch tip lighter with clock and both on Sam Spades office desk at the Maltese Falcon movie :)

My plan was to have a 21 wall in the kitchen, the 21 candlestick on my desk (for the, like in the Bogart movies, manly kind of calls, short and precise, no chattering) and a 34 for the living room, as it's not that comfortible making longer calls with a candlestick with your arms become tired. And maybe maybe, not sure about, a spacesaver next to the bed.

Ah, and I forgot one phone, a WE 202 Dated 1931 but seems to be rebuild at 1943 (on the dial and receiver) with subset, the only one I had got painted new (subset only) and the dial card is printed from the Internet.
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

After being not very productive here because of personal reasons now an update of my collection.

As AE_Collector supposed, I now got an AE 41 :)

My AE 21 wall phone serial circuit, dated 1928 with matching phone directory, of cause in working condition and hooked up, all original and only polished and cleaned.

A WE 50AL dated 1930, all original, only polished/cleaned. I think, according to this forum, it's a factory refurbished during depression era one, as it's painted and the Patent dates refere to an older transmitter cup, latest date is Nov I-92. When I got it, it was, like most of what I buy untouched and unmolested.

And the last one I got today, an AE 21 desk stand with a serial circuit, sadly not dated on the transmitter but with original undamaged 13 feet cord original AE. This one is only cleaned up a little bit put not polished yet. Wonder how old it is, I suppose before 1930.

And sorry for the poor quality of the pics.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

And a picture of my desk with the AE 21 anti-sidetone candlestick and matching American Electric anti-sidetone subset, both dated 1930, in daily use
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

Update:

Some more phones arrived during the weeks. Here are two payphones I recently got:

An AE 120B second generation with rectangular buttons with diagonal letters, out of service condition. Just hat to connect it to line and set all money jumpers to off. Works fine without any money. The instruction card indicates that it once was located in area code 309-527 El Paso Illinois.
Wikipedia quote: In August 1975, the city became the last locality in the contiguous United States to convert its telephone service from manual switching; prior to that time, telephones in the city could not be dialed directly from any outside location, the assistance of an operator being necessary to place the call, and local telephone numbers consisted of four digits.
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Haf

..and my first 233G, build VI 62. This was an ebay shot without knowing what was inside as upper section was locked and no keys. Vault door was missing so I replaced it with an AE door from my spare parts box, unscrewed the lower section and opened it this way. Gladly everything was where it belongs including the coin relay and even all dates match. One thing I completely had forgotten... WE payphones needs subsets :) And a 5 wire cord, both I don't have so far. So testing it with Stan's controller will have to wait a while. What I really like, it's quite good documentated history. I've got an scan from the 1964 Dwight Illinois dictionary with this phone number belonging to a brake service (on the dial center it looks like a 6 at the beginning, but it is indeed a 5). This I believe is the reason why the outside of the phone is quite rough and lot's of wear. But it's like it was when in service, so it's ok with me.
Will have to complete it with a 685 subset + cord and an original coin door. If you have one for sale, please pm me :)
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

dsk

I'm impressed! could never be that consequent my-selves.  :D

As you know, my interest is to figure out how to get things working, and do it.

I will indeed say its difficult to get an OK payphone here to. I have been looking for one used in Norway, but I will probably end up with none, or an American 3 slot. (I'm probably not willing to pay enough  >:(  )

I think you got a nice one here, and it should have some signs of wear.

I'm not sure if the subset used to be located visible from the phone, if not you could hide anything where you want until you get the right subset.

dsk

Haf

Thanks for the compliments, dsk  *blush*

Quote from: dsk on August 12, 2013, 02:45:02 PM
... or an American 3 slot. (I'm probably not willing to pay enough  >:(  )

You will have the same problem as I have, the phone itself is mostly not the expensive, for example, just bought 3 WE single slots, $75 each, that's ok, but shipping only is a total of $478.80 !!!
And about a Norwegian payphone, I keep my eyes open, there was a Danish one not that long ago..but no Norwegian. If ever find one, I will think of you :)
And the subset from the 233G, well it's visible and should be a 685 A one. I know I can maybe test with anything else like a WE 500...but getting a phone to here is as expensive than a subset, so I will wait until get the right thing first time.

Haf

p.s. if you want something to play with and figure out a solution to get it to work, I can send you a 3-slot semi postpay relay for free, have one I don't have any use for (as I don't see any chance to get it to work, needs a changing polarity during operation, see my post about converting that phone into a prepay payphone). Just let me know :)
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

poplar1

Quote from: Haf on February 24, 2013, 01:40:52 PM
A functioning Kellogg 817 wall phone in as stored around 50 years ago condition. Didn't even cleaned it in any ways. It has a WE 2AB ? (not marked) dial which was changed obviously very long ago. When I opened the dial center there was even was the original dial card underneath, the "new" one just sticks on the plastic.

And the last one remained from old German phones I used to have, a Siemens & Halske wall phone hanging at my fathers home and is in daily use. I presented it to him as both are from the same year, 1937.

Haf

On the Kellogg wall phone, is there a number stamped on the back of the dial? Possibly the letter D- followed by a number?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Haf

Just opened it and there is a number in red ink beginning with D and then 759 and another figure I can't read unless taking the dial out of the phone. Do you know the meaning of that number?

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

poplar1

Quote from: Haf on August 13, 2013, 03:51:16 AM
Just opened it and there is a number in red ink beginning with D and then 759 and another figure I can't read unless taking the dial out of the phone. Do you know the meaning of that number?

Haf

D- for Drawing Number. It was used by WE before a part number was assigned to a particular item, but sometimes also for things that were made in small quantities.

Your dial was not stamped on the finger stop because it was not a 2Ax, even though the mechanism was the same. The difference apparently was that the original number plate did not have the word "operator."

The reason I asked is that I had purchased an identical Kellogg wall phone with a WE D-759xx dial. It would be interesting to check an old Kellogg Switchboard and Supply Co. catalog to see what dials are shown on this model telephone. I believe that Kellogg made their own dials but stopped making them until the K1000 ("Red bar") set in the 1940s. I have a 1927 "Grabaphone" that has a small North dial.

Haf

Here's the catalogue and you seem to be right, everything dial related is there with a part number..except the dial itself. And if you see the dial, no operator at the 0. So the dial seems to be with that phone right from the beginning and not replaced someday later. very nice. Added a picture of the back of my dial.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

poplar1

Haf, the dials shown here are apparently Automatic Electric. There are also Kellogg dials that look the same, but the black number card shown is definitely AE. The Kellogg number card has a griffin on it.