and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can't interrupt dial tone

Started by PSGreg, January 16, 2009, 04:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSGreg

Hi Guys,
                    1967 WE500
   I've checked, double checked and triple checked the wiring schematics and all wires look to be connected properly. 
   Telephone rings fine on incoming calls.  Dial tone sounds just slightly quieter than it should. When I dial out I cannot seem to break or interrupt the dial tone.
   Your thoughts?
   Thanks,
                Greg

McHeath

Try reversing the red and green wires and see what happens.

PSGreg

Thanks McHeath,
                                 Tried it.  No difference.  Still can't break the dial tone.

Dan

Do you have another 500 to compare to?. I had the same problem and the white and pink striped wire from the dial mechanism was wired wrong. Go to the restoration area on this website--specifically the "picasa" site and check his 500's and wiring pictures. I copied them and have had a few  fixes that way
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Greg,
I would suspect the problem is within the dial.  It's either wired improperly or there is a bent contact----something within the dial.  Can you post a photo of the dial contacts and/or wiring?

PSGreg

Hi Dan,
                    I have compared it to another 500 I have, it looks the same.  I'll try the picasa site, thanks.

Dennis,
              You may be correct.  I already inspected the dial mechanism to see if there was anything obviously bent but could not see a blatant problem.  I'll see if I can get a couple of pictures up.
Thanks again,
                        Greg

PSGreg

Rechecked the dial mech. and found a contact set that wasn't aligned properly.  Corrected and dialing out fine now.  Thanks guys!

McHeath

That's why we pay Dennis the Big Money.