News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spotting a good payphone on ebay

Started by Payphone installer, August 10, 2018, 01:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

I saw this listing and knew I was looking at a good piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/392091409283

Seller's Description:  "You are viewing an original Western Electric Gray paystation telephone,

painted white, could be original paint, 3-slot coin, with keys, does work when plugged in, very cool.

as found in estate, has light wear,  overall good condition.

size: 19 inches."

RotarDad

Edit - EBay fooled me again with "suggestion" in place of a sold item.  I may have noticed the bevel on the lower edge of the upper and the rivets above the coin return, but I would have missed the other stuff...  Nice find under lots of white paint!
Paul

Payphone installer

The north coming up on the page is not the phone,you have to click the link to see the what appears to be a white A/E. But its not. It is a Gray cast upper housing which is rare,it has a Gray Western Bottom and a real nice cast W/E Gray backboard. I bought the phone. Here is the best part. If you look very closely at the original pictures you will see a 12B lock in a early door. The key matches the lock and has patent dates on the back. That is not a A/E door as there is no circle around the door. It is W/E door with a 12B W/E lock. Good stuff out there if you look hard. 

TelePlay

Quote from: Payphone installer on August 10, 2018, 02:31:47 PM
The north coming up on the page is not the phone,you have to click the link to see the what appears to be a white A/E. But its not.

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Missed than, working to add an image in a hurry causing more time to do it right now. Correct eBay and one image attached above.

Butch Harlow

I had seen that and noticed the back and the bottom housing. Did not catch the cast upper housing. Probably because the AE parts made me assume it was more of a project than I was willing to get wrapped up in right now. I thought the vault door and lock looked strange, that's my first time seeing that type of either. I am getting better at identifying payphone stuff. Glad it went to a good home. Is the switchhook Gray also?
Butch Harlow

Payphone installer

Switch hook is A/E but the upper is a cast Gray upper which is hard to come by,you can tell by the A/E long strip on the housing instead of the fingers.

poplar1

Can someone add the other auction photos?

========================

Moderator Edit:  Here are half of them, the other half are in a post below - too many images to put into one topic (>6).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

If you click on the listing link it takes you to what eBay considers a similar item. At the top it reads"the listing you are looking for has ended" the word "listing" is a link that will take you to the original auction with the pictures.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry that is great information!!!  I had missed not seeing auctions I was watching. You done good  ...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

I can do that, just can't figure out how to save them and to post the photos here. They are needed for future reference for anyone reading this topic after the ebay pictures expire. I have only an Amazon fire tablet right now.

================================

Moderator Edit:  Here are the other half of them, the other half are in a post above - too many images to put into one topic (>6).

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

eBay images added by attaching them to poplar1's posts above, 4 in one post and 4 in the other (8 eBay listing photos in total).

poplar1