News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Retail value estimate for this “Chicago Telephone Booth Inside” sign...

Started by rfkimba, February 02, 2018, 03:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi Collectors,
I was offered this very nice relatively rare Chicago Telephone Booth Inside flange sign. One side is in not great condition, the other excellent with original shine.
Can anyone offer their thoughts as to what a reasonable retail price range for this sign could be?
Thanks,
Bob Farber

Sargeguy

I have seen these go for $700 in decent condition, more in mint.  There is one currently on eBay in mediocre condition with a $400 or Best Offer: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202213901956

It's been there a while so $400 is obviously too high for that sign.  The sign in photos is better condition but has damage to one side. How much are they asking?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rfkimba

Hi Greg
The price is in flux.  I need to make a fair offer that reflects the current market. I assume it needs to be at least 650.
Thanks
Bob Farber

Payphone installer

I would pay probably as much as a 1000.00 in that condition,that's a rare sign.

Signguy

IF ? ? ? ? ? ? this is JB's sign it has been for sale at $650- $750 for a few years with no takers. Just a point of reference.

Signguy

IMHO .... If you are paying $650+ for a sign that is not in mint to VNM condition
history shows that chances are that sign will only go down in price. Some porcelain signs for other products are the exception but not for telephone signs. Would you buy a used car by only looking at the drivers side?

I collected signs for a long, long time and made my share of mistakes. Some I learned from, others I did not. I recently sold 161 telephone signs. I always tried to get the best conditioned signs but sometimes succumbed to the "gee but its so rare" syndrome. On those signs I never did recoup my investment.

Just food for thought. Not trying to inflict my opinion on anyone.

Cheers..... Ell

rfkimba

Hi Guy,
This sign is not Jb's . I was sent additional higher resolution photos that highlight the defects . There is a 1x1" piece missing out of the flange.
Any additional thoughts on the value? I haven't seen this sign type in better condition elsewhere.
Thanks for your helpful feedback.
Regards,
Bob Farber

Payphone installer

I have reached the point in collecting telephones and signs where I never buy them based on return. I buy a TV I know I will never get a return on my money. I buy a couch I know I will never get a return on my money. I buy gold I will get a return on my money. It is nice to get a return on a old phone or sign at some point in the future but I think unlikely. I have found the best return on my telephone purchases is buying the cheap stuff like a pile of subsets. Or a gaylord of handsets then use the dollars to buy the rare stuff. I sell telephone parts and pieces on eBay and use the money to buy over priced good stuff. In the end you get to buy what you want for free. The trick is to also buy what you don't like. The trick is also to buy piles or collections and then piece it out. Collecting to get a return on your money buy collecting only what you want is highly unlikely to work out.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Payphone installer on February 04, 2018, 08:09:38 PM
I have reached the point in collecting telephones and signs where I never buy them based on return. I buy a TV I know I will never get a return on my money. I buy a couch I know I will never get a return on my money. I buy gold I will get a return on my money. It is nice to get a return on a old phone or sign at some point in the future but I think unlikely. I have found the best return on my telephone purchases is buying the cheap stuff like a pile of subsets. Or a gaylord of handsets then use the dollars to buy the rare stuff. I sell telephone parts and pieces on eBay and use the money to buy over priced good stuff. In the end you get to buy what you want for free. The trick is to also buy what you don't like. The trick is also to buy piles or collections and then piece it out. Collecting to get a return on your money buy collecting only what you want is highly unlikely to work out.

This is a variation of the method I use. I have bought a few collections over the years.Because of this, all of my phone stuff has been paid by "buying, selling, trading " telephone stuff.
With this in mind, any money i get from selling an item can be considered as "profit" overall.
Just My justification,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fabius

Assuming the guy holding the sign is the owner we see that he is married and collects phones. You can see a tiny bit of his collection. Are those colored 302s on the left in the last photo?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

rfkimba

Hi Tom,
I don't collect modern phones so I don't know. Any ideal of the sign's current retail value?
Thanks,
Bob

Fabius

Quote from: rfkimba on February 04, 2018, 09:47:08 PM
Hi Tom,
I don't collect modern phones so I don't know. Any ideal of the sign's current retail value?
Thanks,
Bob

Tough to say. In mint condition I could see this going for $1000+. So this sign's value is based on what people think the damage reduces that value by. The one big chip looks like it could be pained over with enamel paint using a fine brush and a steady hand.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

kleenax

Just as has been stated in earlier posts, that particular sign IS rather rare in ANY condition, but I would still hesitate at $650.
I would offer $475 max.

I gave $40 for mine ;-)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

I wouldn't call that sign "rare", both versions do show up fairly regularly on eBay and are represented in many large collections.  It is uncommon, but it isn't a "time to buy it is when you see it" type of deal.   I think $475 sounds about right.  I am a little suspicious about why the front has damage and the back is pristine.  Usually a large hit would show up on both sides, as would edge damage. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409