News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best plastic repair?

Started by tallrick, September 08, 2018, 11:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallrick

Not sure if anyone has new ideas for this but a friend's son pulled on the cord on my green 500 non modular phone from 1971 and broke the housing around the front screw  No big deal but this is the first Phone I ever owned as a kid and would like to avoid having to replace the housing unless I can find one of the same vintage. Never saw one of these break before, guess the plastic is breaking down with age?

Dan/Panther

Can you post a photo. Did he pull it off the table onto the floor ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

tallrick

Sorry I have been going crazy getting generators running and fixing equipment before hurricanes hit somewhere My camera failed and I need to take time to fix it

FABphones

A 1971 phone so I'm guessing it is ABS plastic. Is it a crack or have pieces broken away, if pieces, do you still have them?

Lots of good info if you search 'ABS repair' on this site.

Acetone will melt ABS, if a crack you can apply a drop (or half a drop) to the inside of the crack (open the crack up a little). Push the crack together again - be careful no Acetone drips onto other areas of the phone. Once dry sand if necessary with a very fine grade paper.

If pieces, the Acetone will work in the same way to act as an adhesive. Work carefully, Acetone will dissolve any parts of the phone it touches. If small pieces of the plastic are placed in a small glass container with a little Acetone it will actually turn the ABS pieces onto a form of putty once it starts to dry off, these can be useful for moulding if needed.

It works a treat but one needs to work carefully, if the pieces are small it can be fiddly.

Have a read first up on the various threads on this site, some have photos and are a good guide.

Hope this helps a bit.

I hope all is well for you re the hurricanes. Stay safe.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: tallrick on September 11, 2018, 10:09:09 PM
Sorry I have been going crazy getting generators running and fixing equipment before hurricanes hit somewhere My camera failed and I need to take time to fix it
Be safe....it sure looks like a bad one....Doug
Kidphone