News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

3M and B-Connectors

Started by Babybearjs, January 12, 2019, 01:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well, I went fishing... for info that is. I'm wondering, what splices do you guys normally like to use? I'm having to splice multiple common wires and am wondering which is better to use. I've already discovered the 3M splices, but what about the B-Connectors? are they just as good? do the use less room? are they just as reliable? what say you, telephone man??
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 12, 2019, 01:18:46 AM
well, I went fishing... for info that is. I'm wondering, what splices do you guys normally like to use? I'm having to splice multiple common wires and am wondering which is better to use. I've already discovered the 3M splices, but what about the B-Connectors? are they just as good? do the use less room? are they just as reliable? what say you, telephone man??
Weatherproof beans are the poor mans. scotch-loks . Use the scotch-loks. they are better.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

John

robert_m

Bell specifically used the 3m ones in the 80-breakup, they are water tigng and work very well UR (three wire red button) & UY1 (2 wire yellow buttom) are the commmon ones.  Its the only ones i've used for years and never have had a problem with them.

Robert ATCA 4798

Key2871

Well you know my view, schotchlok is best, water proof, where as beans are not.
As said before, you won't continue to have problems with 3M

Ken
KEN

CanadianGuy

I wish my Telco used scotchloks. They make us use Tyco AMP picabond VS3 beans, which require a special tool, which sells for about $500 now. Their reasoning was that scotchloks can attenuate the xDSL signal.

Key2871

Well that may be true, but scotchloks were made for splicing telephone wire, before data was used over them.
Perhaps the tyco AMP were designed to be used on data cable as well so attenuation wouldn't be a problem.
I haven't looked for data splices but I have to think there must be something out there that's not overly expensive to do the job..

Ken
KEN

robert_m

Thats odd, as Illinois Bell, Wisconsin Bell, Ohio Bell / Ameritec / Bell system, used 3m Scotchlok on all lines period even used them on trunk cables underground when lines got cut, but then and put a black shell filled with expoxy in it being underground. They have never used the AMP connectors that im aware of, when i moved and in Verison, they also used 3m for splicing. so its odd your telco using something else DSL not as picky as suggested and runs on standard cat 3 wireing (generally) just fine.  I suspect your telco is not or was not a Bell ROTC.  The 3m connectors are for standard cat 3 UTP cabling, but i have also used them successfully on cat 5 in a bind, the key tho is RETAIN as much of the twist as possible, but not there not spec'ed for cat 5 use however, i've had no problems with them at all, and have wired many sites voice and data, and in certain situations had to splice in and always use the scotchlok connectors.  Never had problem, just MY experence......

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on January 12, 2019, 09:30:42 AM
Well you know my view, schotchlok is best, water proof, where as beans are not.

Ken
They make gel filled  beans. Scotch-loks are still the better choice.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Yes, I've seen those as well..
I was referring to the early version of B crimps, I didn't like those as well as the R series 3M. I've also used the Y type those are also good but only two wires can be used.
As well as the inline splices, but I've had trouble with those on older heavy wire.
KEN

robert_m

the UR and UY1 work with both standard tp and the heaver gage, dont recall the gauge - but do work just fine, and they has an inline splice one thing its UG, all work perfectly.  Not sure the green button one in the pdf link below but it allows inline splice with 2 connections.....possible they stopped making it i gont know as i rarely use those these days.  The UR and UY1 are the ones i use and Bell used in my area.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/313619O/3m-scotchlok-family-brochure.pdf

most are 22-19 AWG  just get the right one for the wire sizes your working with.

Babybearjs

the B connectors are what I remember the techs using. I remember seeing them in various installations. they are designed for up to 4 wires. I did a test with the 3M UY connectors and was able to do 2 wires in each hole. after I made the sample connection, I used my toner to check for continuity, all 4 wire read positive for continuity. I was happy!
John