News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

B1 Western Electric 102 Refurb

Started by Doug Rose, August 23, 2014, 02:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I came across a WE 102 in tough shape, really corroded around the base. I stripped it....medium steel wool and a lot of elbow grease. Just a start, but I am pleased so far. Most of the corrosion is gone...Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, looks really nice, Doug! Are you going to keep it looking like that?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Christian....I had to replace the inside connections and I am working on the plunger. I need to work a little more on the cradle, but I think I might leave this as it is. I was originally going to paint, but I am pleasantly surprised. I need to find an E1 for it as I have sold off my stock. I will post some pics next weekend...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I got all the terminals and the plunger set inside. I am undecided about having it painted or leave it as is. The corrosion can only be seen when you are right up on it. The black is the color of the metal unless you take a drill with a wire brush to it for an extended period. I can remove the corrosion, but it takes the color as well. I just need to find an E1, I set a good one away in a good hiding place. Real good hiding place   8)  .....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

I think it does look nice the way it is, if you got the rest of the paint removed from the top half. There are trade-offs, of course. If you leave it like this, it's one-of-a-kind that suits your collection well. But if you paint it all gloss black, it blends in with the rest of the D1s and B1s on display, yet pays off if you ever decide to sell it, because a collector may want top dollar for an original-looking B1.

Either way, it's gonna look stunning when it's finished.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

Polish up that aluminum, and add a heavy clear-coat to the entire phone.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Tim Mc

I completed this B1/202 this week.  Powder-coated body & plunger top, sand-blasted base and retainer ring, new felt, new cords, new WENCO #2 dial plate, 1938 302 subset with a Ray K. cover.  My other B1 is in fairly good original shape, so I thought I would go full restoration on this one.  I prefer the look of the B1, but my wife prefers the D1/202 already in our bedroom, so this one will go on display until I find an open phone jack.

JimH

Very nice.  The dial plate looks superb.  I also like the unpainted number card retaining ring.  I've noticed some of the earlier sets, even some of the candlesticks, have an unpainted number ring.  I personally like the look.  Does anyone know what was proper, painted or unpainted, or was it both? 

Jim
Jim H.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: JimH on November 08, 2014, 01:30:19 PM
Very nice.  The dial plate looks superb.  I also like the unpainted number card retaining ring.  I've noticed some of the earlier sets, even some of the candlesticks, have an unpainted number ring.  I personally like the look.  Does anyone know what was proper, painted or unpainted, or was it both? 

Jim

I believe both, but "unpainted" being nickel plated. 
-Bill G