News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting Find This Morning!

Started by DavePEI, November 12, 2014, 03:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

A month ago, I had agreed to go to a lady's house to look at some phones she had in her basement.  I didn't get this done until today because of my recent round of bad health. Finally, today I had to go to town for physio, and other things, and aside from the fact that I had to hire someone to help us drive, I felt that I had better pick them up from her before someone else got them...

What we picked up was:

N717CG No HS, No Crank Handle
NE400  Comp. With Crank Handle
3 - N717CG with Crank Handle
5 - N717CG with No Crank Handle
1 NE QGQM2500AX
1 NE LIQA External Bell
1 - NE554 79 A/B
1 - NE554 73 A/B
Uni #1 Brown No Handset (see below, its handset is there, a type NF Burled Walnut handset to match the case)
NE554 Ivory
TYPE NF Handset for UNi #1 above (separated from phone)
1 G Type Handset Black
1 G Type Handset Brown

All this for a very low cost to me.

So, 11 Wood sets, and three 500 series sets, all in reasonable shape, and a rare version of the NE Uniphome #1,  I am fairly happy. All these will be available to people visiting the museum for very reasonable donations next year. Please don't ask me to ship them. I know shipping from Canada is expensive - its a fact of life that I can't get around. SO if someone wants some of these or the very many other surplus items I have here, they will have to visit and pick them up....

When I get them partially cleaned up I will post a photo here. They are completely "barn fresh" now. Many of the cranks and handset hooks have been thrown inside the sets, I am not going to reinstall them for the photos....

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Photos of the lot mentioned below....
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Dave...can you show a better pictures of the burled walnut #1. It is #1 on my list, pun intended!!!  ;D   Nice haul....Doug
Kidphone

Contempra

Wow Dave, nice find !.. you're lucky my friend ;)

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 12, 2014, 05:26:47 PM
Dave...can you show a better pictures of the burled walnut #1. It is #1 on my list, pun intended!!!  ;D   Nice haul....Doug
Hi Doug:

Here are the photos, I have now done some rough cleaning but no buffing It needs a handset cord and a foot. Everything else is there and in good shape. Dial feels good. It has the correct black transmitter center for the handset. You don't see too many of these handsets!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Kenton K

Wonderful! Brown is a great color that I wish was more popular back in day.

KK

DavePEI

I got a chance to do a really rough clean-up of the N717s this afternoon - basically a dusting only. The photo is below.

Note: All handsets are behind the phones. I find it best with these and any phone with a removable switch-hook and crank to remove the crank, pull the hook pin, and store both inside the phone when shipping or when storing large numbers. I leave them on of course for display. This will protect from loss or damage and keeps them with the phone.

So, here are the 10 N717CGs and the N400 as well as the exterior ringer in the lot, I still have to clean uup the 500 series phones,,

C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Very interesting Dave, really. but you have a good job to do for each box...I guess so. ;)have a nice day my friend .

AE_Collector

No shortage of "Fire Wood" there for the winter Dave!

I wonder how many of these phones NECo made? They sure seem to have been a workhorse of telephony in Canada. Them and the CB version, the 293. BC Tel used 293 Common Battery wall phones in Vancouver up until they converted to dial. By the late 1920's the "New (AE) Monophone!" was the new desk phone available for an additional charge per month.

Terry

DavePEI

Hi Terry and Contempra:

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 14, 2014, 11:49:53 AM
No shortage of "Fire Wood" there or the winter Dave!

I wonder how many of these phones NECo made? They sure seem to have been a workhorse of telephony in Canada. Them and the CB version, the 293. BC Tel used 293 Common Battery wall phones in Vancouver up until they converted to dial. By the late 1920's the "New (AE) Monophone!" was the new desk phone available for an additional charge per month.
Yes, more than I need. They are all in great shape, but they all do need refinishing on the outside. Funny, I remember back when I was looking for my first N717CG how hard it was to find them, now they seem to be looking for me!

As I don't need any of them, I plan on giving them away to others, but I don't plan on shipping them. I am beginning to amass a ton of this type of item (just ask Tallguy58). The only thing I request is people plan a stop at the museum  when they are on PEI to pick through my surplus items. Then, they can have them for a very reasonable donation to the museum.

I won't be refinishing them - leave that for whoever winds up with them... Each needs an hour to two hours of work to strip the old finish, re-stain, and put a new surface on them.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

I don't know if any of you noticed an error in the listing quoted, but I missed one phone. In addition to the 9 - N717Hses and NE400 subset, there was also one N515H phone. As 515Hs are virtully identical on the outside, I had counted it in error as a 717.

Incidentally, the 500 family phones in the batch are as follows:

QSQM2500AX (NE2500D) 78 -50 Ivory
NE554 A/B 79 -60 Light Beige
NE554 A/B 73 -50 Ivory

All of these, plus many other items are available for very little. The only thing is I don't want to deal with shipping since I now have to rely on a walker and it is very difficult to ship, so I suggest people plan on a visit to the museum. I guarantee you won't leave unhappy or empty handed - I now have tons of desirable surplus items for donation or trade.

Dave

Quote from: DavePEI on November 12, 2014, 03:07:34 PM
A month ago, I had agreed to go to a lady's house to look at some phones she had in her basement.  I didn't get this done until today because of my recent round of bad health. Finally, today I had to go to town for physio, and other things, and aside from the fact that I had to hire someone to help us drive, I felt that I had better pick them up from her before someone else got them...

What we picked up was:

N717CG No HS, No Crank Handle
NE400  Comp. With Crank Handle
3 - N717CG with Crank Handle
5 - N717CG with No Crank Handle
1 NE QGQM2500AX
1 NE NE LIQA  External Bell
1 - NE554 79 A/B
1 - NE554 73 A/B
Uni #1 Brown No Handset (see below, its handset is there, a type NF Burled Walnut handset to match the case)
NE554 Ivory
TYPE NF Handset for UNi #1 above (separated from phone)
1 G Type Handset Black
1 G Type Handset Brown

All this for a very low cost to me.

So, 11 Wood sets, and three 500 series sets, and a rare version of the NE Uniphome #1, all in reasonable shape, I am fairly happy. All these will be available to people visiting the museum for very reasonable donations next year. Please don't ask me to ship them. I know shipping from Canada is expensive - its a fact of life that I can't get around. SO if someone wants some of these or the very many other surplus items I have here, they will have to visit and pick them up....

When I get them partially cleaned up I will post a photo here. They are completely "barn fresh" now. Many of the cranks and handset hooks have been thrown inside the sets, I am not going to reinstall them for the photos....

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

tallguy58

Take it from me, Dave's telling the truth.

He wouldn't let me leave there without taking something. He even asked what I needed and looked for the exact items.

Dave's a great guy and the museum is amazing! Get out to see him if you can.

Cheers........Bill

AE_Collector

Yes, visiting Dave and the Telephone Museum of PEI is on my list, I am just waiting for a cruise to that part of Canada to work out for us. The only problem will be that I hoped to haul a bunch of my surplus stuff to Dave rather than the other way around.

What I really need is a Vancouver to PEI and back cruise so that the airlines and luggage restictions dont factor into it. Then Dave and I could both unload all of our extra stuff on each other! Of course that would likely be a two month cruise if through the Panama Canal but we are up for it!

Terry

DavePEI

Most of you don't know, but if it hadn't been for Terry, the museum probably wouldn't exist. Back on 2004 when I began setting it up, Terry filled in many of the blanks in the collection, sharing a ton of stuff with me for the cost of postage only.

It wasn't until this past couple of years that I began to gather what I would call a lot of overstock, thanks to several very large and diverse finds.

I really do hope Terry makes it here!

Dave

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 16, 2014, 04:48:49 PM
Yes, visiting Dave and the Telephone Museum of PEI is on my list, I am just waiting for a cruise to that part of Canada to work out for us. The only problem will be that I hoped to haul a bunch of my surplus stuff to Dave rather than the other way around.

What I really need is a Vancouver to PEI and back cruise so that the airlines and luggage restictions dont factor into it. Then Dave and I could both unload all of our extra stuff on each other! Of course that would likely be a two month cruise if through the Panama Canal but we are up for it!

Terry
C*NET 1-651-0001