News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

534A Base Build

Started by zaphod01, November 23, 2014, 09:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

I've had a couple of requests for these so I thought I'd document the build (photos attached).

I source the beveled edge, basswood, 8 X 10 base from Michaels. I do a light sanding but I leave as much texture as possible to allow the base to take the paint.

I have a 534A base to use as a template. The 534A base is centered on the plank and I use a hammer and four nails to mark my drill sites. Holes are drilled using a bit slightly narrower than a #10 wood screw. This reduces the chance of the screws splitting the base. I drill all the way through the plank. The #10 X 1-1/4 screws and the stick-on feet are sourced from Lowes.

I paint using Krylon flat black (also from Michaels), sanding between coats. Once I'm happy with the paint, I let it dry for a couple days. Probably not necessary but it gives me a chance to set it aside and review the paint job just before assembly. I ensure the base is smooth so the feet will stick well.

I mount the 534A on the base and secure it with the wood screws. Then, I flip the 534A and base upside down and place the stick-on feet directly over the holes.

Photo of the finished project is attached. Great way to display a working candlestick or 102/202.

Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Slal

Good idea & what timing.

For x-mas, going to give friend of family-- an 86 year old lady who remembers one 'in the parlor'-- a B-1 mount with "202" PhoneCo version of 534 (149 induction coil I believe.)

Have you tried staining or polyurethane coat?  Thinking could give her the choice.  Hide the subset or mount it-- her choice, black or stain to match furniture.

thx

--Bruce   

zaphod01

I have one real WE backboard, stamped with the correct part number. It's on a 684A. I found flat black to be very close to the color on this reference piece. I just bought a 533A and need to make a base for it, too. I don't think the basswood will handle the weight as a vertical mount so I'm looking to source a 8 X 10 plaque in hardwood. I'd love to hear from anyone out there who could hook me up!

While these were typically mounted out of view, I think they are an important part of the telephone experience. My first base was built so I could install a 51AL as a 'daily driver' in the kitchen, without scratching up the counter top.

Please remember how loud these things are! I gifted a 202 to a friend and built him a 5302 base with a Ray Kotke topper so he had a volume control. He loves it and it doesn't wake the dead when it rings.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart