"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Reel-to-Reel Tape Decks

Started by paul-f, May 04, 2014, 12:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Quote from: Dave F on May 04, 2014, 10:14:03 PM
My Sony TC-650 has been packed away in the garage for about 30 years.  Hmmm, I wonder if it still works!

DF

Well packed in a box and sealed with duck tape lol. you shouldn't have some problems but, the strap ( whatever how you call this ), are probably dried.

twocvbloke

I haven't really looked at R2R tape machines myself, they don't have much appeal for me, especially as I've been known to wipe sections of cassette tapes cos I forgot that magnets tend to do that to tape (audio, video or data)... ;D

Still, it has it's appeal, if you have original recordings of things from before the times of digital music, it's great to hear what the music should have sounded like, just like with records, rather than having a representation of music that has been sliced up and turned into bits and bytes that never sounds as it should have done... :)

Dave F

Speaking of tape recorders, does anybody know of a good source for rubber drive belts, pinch rollers, and other similar rubber replacement parts?  There used to be a company called PRB (Projector Recorder Belts) that had an extensive product line, but they've been out of business for several years now.  I guess the modern throw-away world has reduced the need for such parts to near zero, but there still are some of us who like keeping the old things working.

DF

Slal

Enjoyed story about childhood tape.  Ran across something similar when inherited my Dad's tapes.  One was marked "T-Giving 1970 P-ville AL"

Like a time capsule.  Someone had a portable deck & had just let it record at a family get together on Thanksgiving.  People visiting.  I would've been 5 at the time & don't remember any of it.  They ended up watching home movies.  No idea what they thought was so funny at times.  ; )

Tempted to go on & on about decks, but don't want to come across as a 'know it all.'  Still too new here.

This topic has been a great ice breaker though.  Helps to associate real names with 'handles' & get to know some of you as people & not just 'phone guys'

Best

--Bruce

PS: Parts always a challenge.  MCM electronics a good place to start; helps to know part # or belt size, round flat, etc.  May or may not have pinch rollers.

1-888-235 4692 or

h_t_t_p://DeleteThis_www.mcmelectronics.com/

Mr. Bones

While not, by any stretch of the imagination, a HI-FI deck, I have but one RTR machine still. It is a portable, encased in a tweed case with removable lid. Tubes, natch. ;) Still works, natch. Prob pretty yawner stuff! ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus