News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal-Detecting

Started by kleenax, December 09, 2012, 10:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Anyone do any treasure-hunting with metal detectors here? Just wondering..... I LOVE treasure hunting for phones, so the metal detecting is a natural since you never know what you will find. Course, I haven't found any old phone parts metal detecting.......yet.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Greg G.

I did try it years ago in combination with my scuba diving.  I never got the "bug".   Underwater, the surrounding sea and sealife was much more fascinating.  Above water, it was difficult to find and then convince property owners to let me sweep their property, most were afraid of the potential liability problems.  I eventually sold my metal detector.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

My dad is into it and has found a few interesting items, one of which ended up in a museum, myself, I tried, but the only thing I found was loads of metal buttons and a broken toy Luger pistol... :D

kleenax

Hmm; I've also done a LOT of SCUBA diving, but never did metal-detecting while underwater, just photography. It's hard enough keeping a camera stable! ;-)

My older son and I are getting more interested in it since he is a Geologist for the State of Michigan and works in Michigan's western upper peninsula, and he spends a LOT of time around the old 1800's mining camps up there. A lot of those camps haven't been active since the 1890's. He's big into finding native copper. He has found a bunch of pure native copper nuggets, and they're pretty cool! He even found a bunch of those old clay pipes (from the late 1700's!) around up there. The British and French were active up there in the 1700's I guess.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

DavePEI

I would have loved to have a good metal detector back some years back when they built the French School on Riverside Drive in Charlottetown. This was the location of the Island Tel dump for many years - many Island Tel employees spent their first few days breaking up phones at that location before phones were discarded on that site.

Back then, it would have been possible to find phones - at least phone parts with a metal detector! The area is completely developed now - the chance to do this is now long gone.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Tech12

Metal Detecting used to throw up some good finds over here years ago especially if you did the beaches, but nowadays the local authorities skim the beaches at the end of every day so there's not so much to find.
Not Everything is Repairable but we try our best.

AE_Collector

Where is that Tech12? Are they searching for things like needles or are they searching for treasure?

Terry

newskeeto

I love metal detecting.  If I get one or two good coins in a day, I call it a good day.

Tech12

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 23, 2012, 09:27:07 PM
Where is that Tech12? Are they searching for things like needles or are they searching for treasure?

Terry

Hi: It's in the UK, on the beaches you used to find enough on each trip to at least cover your costs but not any more. Used to find a lot of old coins etc along Forest paths & Towpaths but due to health problems I have'nt done any detecting for a while.

Andy
Not Everything is Repairable but we try our best.