News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Now I can join the 5302/5304 Party!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 02, 2013, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I just won this on eBay, a WE 5304, for $39 (The last 3 purchases of mine on eBay were $39, go figure). Any thoughts on this?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

zaphod01

I have a 5304C that I reconfigured as 'individual or bridged' so it rings. It was set up as a party line phone when I got it. I had to move darn near every wire. Let me know if you need the wiring diagram. I think I have it in a pdf file somewhere. I know I have a hard copy.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: zaphod01 on November 02, 2013, 07:03:04 PM
I have a 5304C that I reconfigured as 'individual or bridged' so it rings. It was set up as a party line phone when I got it. I had to move darn near every wire. Let me know if you need the wiring diagram. I think I have it in a pdf file somewhere. I know I have a hard copy.

Thanks. I think I'll mechanically keep it the way it is, I'm not going to use it at all, just display.
Christian Petterson

southernphoneman

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 02, 2013, 06:47:06 PM
I just won this on eBay, a WE 5304, for $39 (The last 3 purchases of mine on eBay were $39, go figure). Any thoughts on this?
congrats, this a nice 5304, they are a tough rugged telephone, Gregg

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

How could you miss it with the fluorescent orange sticker?   That is one modification I would seriously entertain!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

zaphod01

My 5304 has a GF handset. Looks like a G1 but uses F1 elements. I think it's cool. I also have a 5302 with a '48 base and a GF handset and one with a '49 base, a straight handset cord and an F1 handset.

I recently bought a 5302 with a 5-38 base, single hump, reverse network. It was too oddball to leave as a 5302 so I took it completely apart, cleaned it thoroughly, and added a topper to turn it into a subset for a 202.

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

WEBellSystemChristian

Do you guys think this is a GF handset? Did G1s work with 5302s/5304s, and if so is it a possibility that it's a G1?
Christian Petterson

poplar1

If it's a GF--the caps are marked in the center H (for HA1 receiver) and F (for F1 transmitter). Then inside you would find HA1 receiver (not U-1) and F1 transmitter (not T1).

"G1s" will also work, although on short loops (near the Central Office), the sidetone is too high. (This didn't stop Southern Bell from installing 5302s with G1 handsets.)

There are also an F4 handsets with U-1 receiver and T-1 transmitter, which could be used on 202s and 302s on long loops. There wouldn't be any need to use an F4 on a 5302 since a G1 would fit.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on November 02, 2013, 10:52:26 PM
If it's a GF--the caps are marked in the center H (for HA1 receiver) and F (for F1 transmitter). Then inside you would find HA1 receiver (not U-1) and F1 transmitter (not T1).

"G1s" will also work, although on short loops (near the Central Office), the sidetone is too high. (This didn't stop Southern Bell from installing 5302s with G1 handsets.)

There are also an F4 handsets with U-1 receiver and T-1 transmitter, which could be used on 202s and 302s on long loops. There wouldn't be any need to use an F4 on a 5302 since a G1 would fit.

Just wondering if it could be GF before I get it. I'll know if it's a GF when it arrives because the transmitter and receiver caps will be significantly larger than those of a G1
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Well, how much larger? The diameter of the caps has to be the same since they fit any G-1 handle. But yes, they are different.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on November 02, 2013, 11:11:52 PM
Well, how much larger? The diameter of the caps has to be the same since they fit any G-1 handle. But yes, they are different.

Wait...the handsets (minus the caps and insides) are exactly the same? I figured that since an F1 looks bigger than a G1, the GF would be the same size as an F. Looks like I have a lot of 5300 knowledge to learn... Thanks for the info. ;)
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Okay, took a look at the original listing, and according the Paul F's site, the handset caps should look nothing like a G1s, but this handset looks like a plain old G1 :'( >:(
Christian Petterson

poplar1

Here's the link to Paul F's GF pictures:

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#GF

What state is your phone from? Apparently, the GF handsets were more common in some areas of the country. I never saw GFs used in Southern Bell areas.

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 02, 2013, 08:42:00 PM
How could you miss it with the fluorescent orange sticker?   That is one modification I would seriously entertain!

I took the dial card literally.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e