Now I can join the 5302/5304 Party!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 02, 2013, 06:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: poplar1 on November 02, 2013, 11:46:47 PM
Here's the link to Paul F's GF pictures:

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#GF

What state is your phone from?

Well, the phone coming from Massachusetts, but that doesn't necessarily mean the phone was originally used there. Is there some website where I can locate where the telephone exchange was by using the exchange number the dial card?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

david@london

christian.........the ten project lists exchange names.
http://tinyurl.com/29burt

just wondering - how does the -LOUD-> volume control work on one of these ?

zaphod01

5302's were built from 302's. They took a bell off the ringer and mounted it on the right front foot. The lever moves the bell closer to or further from the ringer.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

paul-f

Quote from: david@london on November 03, 2013, 04:00:49 AM

just wondering - how does the -LOUD-> volume control work on one of these ?

There's a photo of the gong adjusting mechanism on this page:

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#5300
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

southernphoneman

did western electric also build some 5302s without the ringer adjustment switch? Gregg

Phonesrfun

Yes.

Remember that the 5302's were not "built" as such.  They were re-purposed 302's.  The ringer control was not a switch, but just a mechanical lever which moved the position of one gong to make the ringer volume somewhat adjustable.  It was not very effective.

I have seen 302s both with and without the ringer modification.
-Bill G

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: david@london on November 03, 2013, 04:00:49 AM
christian.........the ten project lists exchange names.

http://tinyurl.com/29burt

Thanks. It looks like it was from Alexandria, Virginia.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

southernphoneman

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 03, 2013, 12:55:02 PM
Yes.

Remember that the 5302's were not "built" as such.  They were re-purposed 302's.  The ringer control was not a switch, but just a mechanical lever which moved the position of one gong to make the ringer volume somewhat adjustable.  It was not very effective.

thank you Bill that's what I thought, Gregg

poplar1

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 03, 2013, 12:55:02 PM
Yes.

Yes, there are some--not many-- *302s* with ringer volume adjuster.

As for the *5302s*, part of the marketing for 500s was that the customer could adjust the volume of  the ringer. As such, 5302s--if they were to fool the customers, who always wanted "a new phone"--needed to have a way to change the loudness of the ringer. I suspect that most Bell System 5302s do have a ringer adjuster.

Refurb shops such as Telephone Engineering Co., Hallmark House, etc. bought non-Bell ("Western Electric") 5302 housings. They didn't always bother with the additional parts needed to make the ringer adjustable. Where I worked (Hallmark House), we used the NOS 5302 housings only to replace broken 302 housings and not to give the Radio Shack retail customers anything more modern. We also did not add the ringer adjuster.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: poplar1 on November 03, 2013, 05:49:03 PM

David:

I actually did a typo there.  I was actually saying that there were 5302's both with and without.  To tell you the truth, I have not actually seen a 302 with one.  Did WE build them with the adjuster on later models, or were these also something the refurbishers added to the 302's that were refurbished but stayed as 302's?
-Bill G

poplar1

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 05, 2013, 01:45:37 AM
Quote from: poplar1 on November 03, 2013, 05:49:03 PM

David:

I actually did a typo there.  I was actually saying that there were 5302's both with and without.  To tell you the truth, I have not actually seen a 302 with one.  Did WE build them with the adjuster on later models, or were these also something the refurbishers added to the 302's that were refurbished but stayed as 302's?

So far, all the 302s with adjustable ringers that I've seen were Bell System 302s that were refurbished at the WE shops.

HowardPgh

Be aware that GF handsets have threaded adaptors on the transmitter cap and I think one on the receciver also.  The HA1 element used in them have a plastic adaptor to fit in the receiver cavity of the handset and it has screw terminals like a U1 element.
Howard

Contempra

Quote from: zaphod01 on November 02, 2013, 07:03:04 PM
I have a 5304C that I reconfigured as 'individual or bridged' so it rings. It was set up as a party line phone when I got it. I had to move darn near every wire. Let me know if you need the wiring diagram. I think I have it in a pdf file somewhere. I know I have a hard copy.

Hello zaphod... as I am a newbie, what'S the difference between a single line and a party line?... in the same time. if you have the pdf file somewhere, i'll take it. thanks

Denis

poplar1

2-party line=ligne à deux abonnés

2 or more subscribers share the same line, resulting in fewer cable pairs needed, especially cost effective in rural areas

Contempra

Okay merci David . Par contre ici au Québec on peut avoir une seule ligne téléphonique et avoir droit sur cette même ligne l'appel en attente c'est-à-dire qu'en réalité c'est comme une deuxième ligne téléphonique mais dans une seule :)  (Okay thank you David. however here in Quebec we can have only one telephone line and qualify on the same line call waiting is to say that reality is like a second phone line, but in one)

Je me souviens qu'à une certaine époque, qu'on pouvait , oui, avoir une deuxieme ligne pour une personne supplémentaire dans la maison . La seule différence c'est que la sonnerie du téléphone n'était pas la même. une sonnerie pour la normalité ou si un copain appelait , alors c'était une sonnerie différente. C'est comme ça que je savais que l'appel n'était pas pour moi mais pour fiston .  (I remember one time we could, yes, have a second line for an extra person in the house. The only difference is that the ringer was not the same. ringing for normality or a buddy called, so it was a different tone. That's how I knew the call was not for me but for son)

Mais j voudrais quand même le fichier PDF de zaphod01 :)  (But I would still like the PDF zaphod01)