News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another European Phone

Started by mienaichizu, March 11, 2009, 10:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

Just got another European phone manufactured by LM Ericsson. I think it is from late 60's to early 70's. The phone looks fine but the plastic case has been badly discolored. Not yet tested it if it still works.

Dan/Panther

What is the purpose of the double numbers on the number wheel ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mienaichizu

I don't know, hehehe, what do you think?
???

AET

I guess it's because of the familiarity maybe, but the foreign phones just don't quite do it for me.
- Tom

McHeath

This is another nice phone, again something we just don't see a lot of here in my park of the woods.  I like the low swooped style.  Does it work?

mienaichizu

Not yet tested it McHeath, I have not done anything on it, even cleaning it, hehehe

bingster

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 11, 2009, 01:49:37 PM
What is the purpose of the double numbers on the number wheel ?
D/P

The tiny numbers on the inside of the dial are a very old European trait.  Normally, with the old dials, you'll find letters inside the holes.  Later ones seem to have had either letters or nothing at all.  It does seem odd that they doubled up on the numbers on the outside, "500 style" with this one, though.

Here's my KTAS D-08 with the tiny inside numbers on it's Ericsson dial:
= DARRIN =

McHeath

QuoteI guess it's because of the familiarity maybe, but the foreign phones just don't quite do it for me.

Yeah it can be tough to get used to the very different kind of style of non-American produced phones.  I did not even really know anything about the rest of the worlds telephones until I started up this "hobby" (craze) and have since been finding more and more to like about them.  I only have one however, an Ericofon that I got for Christmas this past year, and it's pretty fun with it's goofy Googie style.  Just don't ask Hobiesport what it looks like. ;)

AET

Yes, I'm sure it's because we all had a 500 or something of the like in the house at one point or another, and anything else just seems like an outsider.  I know I look at some of the foreign ones and I just think "I couldn't deal with that" but the 500's just feel right.  They're like an old broken in pair of shoes, no surprises, and just comfortable.
- Tom

GG

That's an Ericsson "Dialog" phone, type 6-DLG.   Back in the early 80s we used to install those on Ericsson PBXs.

The reason for the odd dial number locations:  Ericsson traditionally placed the numbers on the inside of the dial holes, as you see, going back to the 20s or so at least.   Probably to prevent enameled numbers from being rubbed off porcelain plates below the fingerwheel.  That habit persisted to the last of Ericsson's dial phones, a rotary version of the Diavox 100.   The digits outside of the holes (per US practice) were used for a few of Ericsson's markets but not all; for example I have a blue Mexican 6-DLG without them (identical in all other respects, and with a PBX ground button mounted on the dial next to the fingerstop; that was original). 

Important notes about these:

The housing is mounted with a screw inside the hand grip behind the phone.  When you look from the rear you see a clear plastic piece inside the handgrip.  That has a flathead screw inside that is captive with a little wire spring.  Loosen that screw and then gently lift the housing off toward the front (there are two plastic projections at the front that hook over the baseplate).  When putting the housing back, do not over-tighten that screw or you'll strip the threads it screws into. 

The circuit board inside the phone (and on the Diavox series as well) is thin and somewhat weak. Be VERY careful loosening or tightening the screws on the terminals, as you can easily cause the circuit board to crack or break.  If you find a screw is too tight to loosen easily, grip the terminal under it with needle-nose pliers to hold it still while attempting to unscrew it, to prevent ripping the terminal out of the network board.

The ringer gongs have the exact same pitches as those used on WE C4A ringers.  The ringer mechanism can be adjusted carefully to provide a very pleasant quiet ring, but you need to look at it carefully to figure out how: it's the little wire finger that contacts the ringer volume control, which can be bent just a tiny bit further out; and then of course rotate the gongs to proper distance from the clapper. 

The proprietary round nut holding the dial fingerwheel: you will need to make up a clever little tool for getting this off without scratching it.  Take a large paperclip and cut off a section, and then bend it around so you have something that looks like a letter U.  File down the clipped ends so they are flat rather than pointy from being cut off.  Now grip this with a solid pair of pliers and hold it tight while inserting it gently into the holes in the nut, and then turn counter-clockwise.  It will get the nut to budge and then you can use your fingers to unscrew it from there.  When you put it back on, all you need to do is get it finger-tight rather than torquing it on with your home-made dial tool. 

BEWARE taking Ericsson dials apart.  When you remove the fingerwheel, the dome-shaped round piece under it conceals the main spring, and if you pry that dome-shaped thing off (easy to do by accident), the mainspring will let go.  It's dangerous to unprotected eyes, and it's a bear to rewind and get back together.  So if you take the fingerwheel off for cleaning the dial, screw the nut back onto the dial to hold the mainspring dome captive. 

The transmitters and receivers are interchangeable with WE/SC/ITT parts if need be.  The transmitters are known to go scratchy, so if you have a spare Bell T1 transmitter around, use that.  You may need to bend the center contact spring in the handset up just a little to make contact. 

These phones are most often found in that gray color.  Also found in black, medium green, ivory, bright orange, medium blue, and mid beige, and white (it would not surprise me if they also made 'em in yellow).  I once saw an article where Ericsson talked about color choice, that showed a rainbow spectrum of colors they had tested before settling on the range they actually produced. 

At the front of the example you have, there are two vertical slots.  The telephone number label and card retainer went in there, held in place by another wire spring behind it.  These are often missing and difficult to replace, but one of these days someone with an Ericsson stash will probably turn up and put them on Ebay. 

AE_Collector

GG:

Welcome to the forum. You are digging up old threads that I have never seen before.

Where are you located? I'm in Vancouver Canada and we used some Ericsson PABX's and PAX's in British Columbia as well. Mainly 741 and 561 PABX's and some 636 PAX's as intercoms.

We used pretty much all AE phones though since BC Telephone was owned 50.1% by GTE.

There are some pictures of a 636 PAX in this thread. The PAX is now out in my garage (collecting dust) for now.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15797.0

Terry

dsk

Our neighbours in East (Sweden) made the Dialogue telephone from 1962 to 1978.
(pics from wikipedia)
Look at the special Swedish dial. 
In 1967 The Norwegian "Elektrisk Bureau" partly owned by W.E. and L.M.E. started to make The Norwgian "fully electronic" ;D modell for the Norwegian monopoly Televerket (Telegrafverket). They used the same plastic shape, and became backups for each other because of the cost of the molding tools. (Pic digital museum)
This telephone had a different dial. Mechanically more like W.E. with a 10 digit cam in center. Dynamic microphone and receiver (Equal element) with moving coil, and plastic diaphragm. The microphone worked as transmitter for the ringing sound. The Dial was made with or without printed numbers under the holes of the dial. Always numbers in the center. Last one made in 1982.

dsk

Wallphone

d_s_k, That is interesting that the transmitter element was also used for the ringer. Was this phone designed by the KGB? It seems that if the transmitter element was always connected for ringing purposes, that it wouldn't be too hard to eavesdrop in on a room. Do you have a circuit diagram for this model phone?

dsk

Wallphone