News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ebay Cautions

Started by Babybearjs, November 28, 2012, 02:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I thought I'd throw this out.... I just purchased a chandelier off of ebay for $40.00...... the shipping is $75.00..... the seller says he'll refund the difference..... to everyone interested.... be careful, when your are browsing.... I didn't catch the shipping charge until it was too late... has anyone had this  experience??
John

George Knighton

I've never been victimized by it, but I've sure as hell noticed it a few times.

In the Apple world, people are known to advertise a well known, popular item for 0.15 to get your attention, and the text will draw your attention to $900.00 in shipping and handling.

:-)
Annoying new poster.

Dan/Panther

Report it to Ebay, they will follow up , and make them refund excess charges. they do that to circumvent eBay fees. They don't pay fees based on Shipping, only selling price.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

twocvbloke

I've come across ebay listings like that, and some of them I have mentioned the implications of them using the postage to cover the item value so they can get around the fees, some have been okay with it and adjusted their listings, others responded with nasty replies and I just reported them to ebay, and funnily enough their accounts ended up as "No longer registered" not long afterwards, so it's one thing ebay does pay attention to, seeing as it's their fees being lost... :D

Other things like stolen items, fraudulent items, or just blatantly erroneous and refuse to accept corrections listings they don't really care about, so long as they get their fees... :-\

LarryInMichigan

Some people do not know what shipping should really cost or enter information incorrectly.  The white AE80 that I bought recently was listed with a $20 shipping charge.  Before I bid, I sent a message to the seller explaining that it could be shipped in a medium flat rate box for around $11, and he replied that, if I win the auction, I should wait for an invoice with a $12 shipping charge.  I wasn't going to argue over the extra dollar.  he kept his word and shipped it as I suggested.  Other sellers have accepted my requests, but one or two have refused.

Larry

Dave F

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 28, 2012, 01:21:43 PM
Report it to Ebay, they will follow up , and make them refund excess charges. they do that to circumvent eBay fees. They don't pay fees based on Shipping, only selling price.

D/P
Several months ago, eBay changed the way they charge their fees.  Final Value fee is now calculated to INCLUDE shipping, so there is no longer any benefit for sellers to low-ball the price and hike the shipping.

DF

HarrySmith

You are correct. I was wondering why the change, this scenario never occured to me! I just made an adjustment in my pricing strategy. I was figuring 16% for eBay & PayPal, I am now using 19%.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dave F on November 29, 2012, 03:53:56 PM
so there is no longer any benefit for sellers to low-ball the price and hike the shipping.

Well there is still the advantage where a potential purchaser doesn't look close enough and bids based on the item price forgetting to consider the total price including shipping. It does cut out the "free" profit from the excess shipping cost though.

Terry

Dave F

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 01, 2012, 01:17:35 PM
Quote from: Dave F on November 29, 2012, 03:53:56 PM
so there is no longer any benefit for sellers to low-ball the price and hike the shipping.

Well there is still the advantage where a potential purchaser doesn't look close enough and bids based on the item price forgetting to consider the total price including shipping. It does cut out the "free" profit from the excess shipping cost though.

Terry

I suppose buyer laziness is always a benefit to the seller, either by neglecting to look at the shipping cost or by bidding on an overpriced item due to lack of education.

DF

davidbholcomb

I thought this should go under Ebay Cautions. Am I missing something here. 2 of them have sold.
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

twocvbloke

I've seen a few sellers do that, if they run out of stock (I.E. waiting for the chinese boat to come in), they jack up the price to stupid levels so no-one buys them until they have stock saving them relisting, it looks like two have bought them at that price, but usually, they bought it at the original "proper" price. Still, it's a stupid practice... ::)

Babybearjs

now that, is what I wanted to add.... if you REALLY want to sell on ebay, make it real.... otherwise don't sell.... people who post those type add don't really want to get rid of that "precious" item   it just makes me mad... there is some lady trying to sell a 4 light chandelier for $55.00 with no glass shades.... its really only worth $15 in a AS-IS condition.... I tried writing her and ebay would let me put the note through.... I don't know if she blocked it, or ebay did... so, that's out.... anyway, be sure to always look at the shipping.... some people sure don't know anything about selling stuff!
John

Dave F

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 03, 2012, 01:11:47 AM
<snip>.... some people sure don't know anything about selling stuff!

And, as we have seen, some people sure don't know anything about buying stuff!!