News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Couple of questions on the WE 500

Started by Eric CRX, November 25, 2012, 04:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric CRX

Hi folks, I'm new to rotary phones and new to the forum. I said hey over in the new member forum but I have a few issues that I'm not sure about.

The 1st pic I have drawn (crudely) arrows pointing to wires that appear clipped and go to nowhere. All 4 are just laying around and I wondered if they served a purpose because I wanted to remove them if I can. Cleans up wire clutter and gives me a few parts. So what purpose would they serve?

Also the second pic should show the finger wheel. Now I got it taken apart but with respect to the dial card, I know it would go on top of the metal piece but there is no plastic. Should this phone have some type of clear plastic covering the dial card? Also what would be the purpose of the notches and circular cutout in the metal piece? I hope I've given enough info and asked understandable questions.

I appreciate any info.
Thanks
Eric

poplar1

Is it marked on the bottom L/M 500 instead of the usual C/D 500?

The 500M could be used on a key system (multi-line phones with hold button and 2 or more lines); the 2 gray cloth wires on the terminal strip were originally connected to the yellow and black line cord wires so that when you used this phone, the lamps on the multi-line phones would show that the line was in use. The blue and white were spares but could also be used for example to isolate the ringer from the line.

My guess is that someone replaced the original 6-conductor cord and the previous 6-conductor (green, red, black, yellow, white, blue) 623D jack with the current 3-conductor (green, red, yellow) 623D jack.

The phone is not wired correctly. The red tie from a plastic bag  is of course not original.

Yellow line wire from the 623D goes on G.
Red line wire on L2
Green line wire on F
Black ringer wire on F

You could also wire it like a 500D.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Eric CRX

Ok thanks for your quick reply. I read and re-read your post and then went back to the diagrams on this site and studied them some more.
The phone has been exposed to dampness and all stamps are gone from the bottom. Most of the rust has come off but I'm not above painting if I need to. It is my experiment phone I guess.

So I'd like to wire like the diagram for the we500c/d and hope for the best. So I can remove the wires on the terminal strip that go nowhere? Then fix the 623D wires.

Now after looking at that diagram it shows the black ringer wire going to G. You advise F. I am not sure which to do.
Also I wanted to see if anyone commented on the red twist tie. It could be a relic, a tie 25 years old from a loaf of Wonderbread.
I really do appreciate the help

poplar1

The wiring corrections I gave were for the 500M. The green line wire and black ringer wire would be on F because the hookswitch contacts that connect L1 to F are instead used as control leads.

For a 500D, yes, you can eliminate all the wires on the terminal strip under the dial. Move the two cloth wires currently on the terminal strip to L1 and F. Then the black ringer wire and green line cord wire go on L1, the yellow line cord wire on G, and the red line cord wire on L2.

The reason the black ringer wire goes on L1 and not G is that it won't ring otherwise. Originally, the green and yellow wires would have connected to the same terminal on the wall on non-party lines.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Eric CRX

I appreciate your guidance. I will make the corrections tomorrow and hope I haven't blown it up. I snooped around that thing alot, poking, prodding, jiggling and wiggling. I really hope this old phone works. It is actually cleaning up pretty nice.
Thanks much.

Phonesrfun

The only way to blow one of these up is to physically blow it up. Bad connections, while may cause it not to work, won't actually hurt the phone itself.  They are pretty indestructable.  Don't be afraid to "play" with it.  The worst that might happen is to tie up the phone line, even if it has a dead short.
-Bill G

Eric CRX

Well I want everyone to know I blew it up................Kidding, the crazy thing works!

Thanks for the help. I got the satisfaction of a working phone only because of the proper guidance. It even dials out and I thought that may be an issue since it seems a touch sluggish on a few dials. The bell is a little too gentle sounding, even with the loudness dial cranked over. I'm sure that can be fiddled with. Dial tone is a little low. Nothing wrong with that.

I have yet to peek into the handset as it is seemingly welded on. I shall try a few tips recommended here just so I can clean and snoop a little more. But for 10 bucks it has cleaned up great.

Thanks a ton
Eric

Nick in Manitou

Eric,

Please don't be shy in asking your questions.  There are others of us on the forum that are new and who learn from every question that others ask.

Welcome and have fun!

Nick

Eric CRX

I wanted to write a quick update whilst I enjoy my coffee. Again I offer thanks for the tips/help/friendly banter.

I got the phone ringing like a champ. Ironically there is a thread about this very thing and I merely moved one thin wire on a little slot that looks like a "G". How's that for tech speak.

So I have several more phones to tinker with. None are rare and all were cheap, although my SC 1543 I think it is, seems to be number matching. I think that's cool. But as long as they all work and shine up nicely then I'll be happy.