News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Mushroom Phone

Started by Snake, May 14, 2012, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

Well it seems I have one less dream now! I recently was lucky enough to get my hands on a Mushroom Phone.
I found it right when it was listed BIN on ebay, for what I thought was a great deal at the time. I was an impulse buy, and I became a little worried after that I might have over paid. But regardless, I'm sure happy now.

I received it today and found that it is in fact WE Grey, Soft Plastic, and dated all original throughout. The handset, the handset cord, the caps, the transmitter/receiver, the housing, the dial, the network, the bell assembly, etc, etc. However there is two things wrong with it.
One, it's missing it's original grey line cord. And instead has a notch cut out for a modular plug :'( .
And Two, it's missing it's key in the front, I was told by Dennis that a 510 key should work for it.
Other then that everything on it is just great, the fading isn't as bad as I thought it would be, it just isn't very photogenic  :D.
It looks great in person, the plastic is all in good condition and will clean up nicely, the inside looks fantastic as well. I'm really happy it has the original grey fat handset cord, that looks great and is in good condition with great elasticity to it.

Note that I haven't done anything to the phone, the pictures were taken about an hour after I received it.
Also, if anyone thinks they might be able to help with the the grey line cord, or the key it would be very much appreciated and I will be happy to pay you for them.

Sorry for the lack of pictures of the inside, if anyone REALLY wants to see the inside I'd be happy to take some pictures and post them. Let me know what you think!  ;D

HarrySmith

Nice Phone! Great find! The switch should not be hard to find, it is the same as any two line 500 or Princess. The line cord may be another story!
Can you post the auction?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Snake

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 14, 2012, 08:21:31 PM
Nice Phone! Great find! The switch should not be hard to find, it is the same as any two line 500 or Princess. The line cord may be another story!
Can you post the auction?

Thanks, and here is the auction... http://tinyurl.com/mushroomphone

canuckphoneguy

Getting a mushroom phone is a dream of mine too! I have only seen 2 on Ebay - I think you got it for a pretty good price. Too bad about the hack job on the back.

Does the light work?

TelePlay

Is that a soft center finger wheel?

Snake

Snake

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on May 14, 2012, 09:49:00 PM
Getting a mushroom phone is a dream of mine too! I have only seen 2 on Ebay - I think you got it for a pretty good price. Too bad about the hack job on the back.

Does the light work?

I'm sure the light works, everything looks good with it, I don't see why it wouldn't. *Knock on Wood*
The original light is in it and everything. I'm going to test it eventually...

RotarDad

Nice phone!  If you search on "Restoring a WECo Blue 500U", there is a detailed thread about fixing this exact issue.  You will need a donor gray shell, but it can be done.   I have a black 500P that was also fixed this way.  When I got it, the repair had been glued in but not finished.  I carefully filed, sanded and polished so it is almost completely invisible from the outside.  Definitely worth doing!
Paul

Snake

Does anyone know if a 3 line cord would work on the mushroom phone, and still be able to light up???

Snake

Quote from: RotarDad on May 14, 2012, 11:16:00 PM
Nice phone!  If you search on "Restoring a WECo Blue 500U", there is a detailed thread about fixing this exact issue.  You will need a donor gray shell, but it can be done.   I have a black 500P that was also fixed this way.  When I got it, the repair had been glued in but not finished.  I carefully filed, sanded and polished so it is almost completely invisible from the outside.  Definitely worth doing!

Thanks, and I will definitely look into/do that once I get time. I will post a thread on the process if I do. I think it would be worth doing like you said.

JorgeAmely

You will need a cord with four conductors to light up the bulb. Since it is notched for a modular cord, just get the modular socket that slides on the notch and a regular RJ-11 gray cord with two pairs of wires will do. You will need a 7-8 either DC or AC volt power supply for the bulb. 
Jorge

Snake

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 14, 2012, 11:33:35 PM
You will need a cord with four conductors to light up the bulb.

Thank you.

Dan

Congrats on a RARE light grey mushroom. I have never seen one that color on ebay.

You can keep the regular line cord and just add a two wired transformer (you can use a cell phone charger (keep the output around 4 or 5 watts)and connect it straight to the phone to light it up. I will be glad to post pictures if you are interested. The transformers can be found at Goodwills for a buck or two. :)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

twocvbloke

Looks like the notching was done with a hacksaw and a pair of pliers, shame that damage was done, but at least the rest of the phone is in good condition... :)

Snake

Quote from: Dan on May 15, 2012, 08:53:40 AM
Congrats on a RARE light grey mushroom. I have never seen one that color on ebay.

You can keep the regular line cord and just add a two wired transformer (you can use a cell phone charger (keep the output around 4 or 5 watts)and connect it straight to the phone to light it up. I will be glad to post pictures if you are interested. The transformers can be found at Goodwills for a buck or two. :)

Thanks, the grey color is what put me over the edge on buying it.

You know, I am absolutely clueless when it comes to lighting up phones... so any help would be appreciated. I have a WE 2012C Transformer, could I use that some how? Thanks in advance for the help.