News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wood back board for the 554 (172B) and 354's (172A)

Started by Vern P, March 08, 2019, 01:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern P

I know this has been posted in the past, but I don't know were. So I will start here.

As you my remember I have been looking for these boards.  I am pleased to report that I just got the last one I needed for a full set !

The last 3 that I needed for the last few years were, Yellow, DK. Blue and DK. Gray.  The Yellow came from an old friend that passed away 3 years ago, the family give it to me last summer, when the house was sold.  The DK. Blue came from a trade with another collector, for a Yellow Princess.    The last one was the DK. Gray, witch came off eBay from a collector that I have known since 1991, but have lost contact with years ago.  This is only the 2nd one I have known of.  Jester here on the forum had one years ago.

Will try to post photo of the DK. Gray, it cleaned up very well.   Before I do that, let me say the "most" of these are stamped only 172A or B, no color code.   The DK. Gray is stamped 172B -52, #code for DK. Gray.  I believe my Ivory is stamped -50, #code for Ivory.
Vern
PS:  The 172A were only made in Black and Ivory.  The A's have round corners, the B's have square corners.

allnumbedup

I just got a totally untouched 1957 red 554 (date matching except for a 1962 long white cord) It came  hardwired with solid wire line cable through a wooden backboard that I assume to be home made. It is old looking pine plywood with a nice even small bevel to the front edge.  It has a gap at the top edge that connects through the board.  It has no markings but brass screws similar to those on the 172b you have posted. Also only a few small bore holes on the back and no place for mounting unless the two gaps in the top side of the board were used for a bracket of some kind. Before I drill mounting holes, I thought I should ask if this might be an early WE board and especially worth keeping intact? thanks JC
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Key2871

If it were made by Bell, it would have rounded corners for one. The wire path would have been routed out.
And it would be a better grade of plywood.
So I'm saying no. Plus the heavy runs in the paint wouldn't be there, it would have been sprayed.
KEN

allnumbedup

Analog Phones for a Digital World