News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Factory painted" 300-series (302) color phone photos

Started by paul-f, July 31, 2013, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

As has been pointed out, we have lots of photos of the thermoplastic colors, but the catalog painted colors are more elusive.

This is a place to post photos of sets in the standard painted colors:

-6 Old Brass
   -7 Statuary Bronze
   -8 Oxidized Silver
   -12 Dark Gold

Here are a few -12 Dark Gold sets, including one with the color code stamped on the bottom and a "one of a kind" presentation set.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

Here is a set in -8 Oxidized Silver

WesternElectricBen

Thanks for sharing this pictures.. I've never see them in those colors before. Does anyone have one or are those yours Paul?

Ben

paul-f

The presentation set is mine - the others are not.

It's a 302D-12.  I got it mainly for the 6/42 5JE dial with celluloid dial plate.  The dial also has the early fingerwheel design that's held on with two X-shaped brackets that are accessed behind a snap-in number card holder.  

Dennis posted this link to photos of some more metal painted sets including Old Brass and Statuary Bronze:
 http://tinyurl.com/yddvc5f

See his comments here:
 Re: What is the Toughest 302 Color to Find?

Thanks, Dennis!

[Edit: Added model number.]

JorgeAmely

The presentation set looks like it belongs in a museum. Very nice! Thanks for sharing Paul.
Jorge

paul-f

Thanks, Jorge.

Maybe a Canadian museum with deep pockets will make an offer I can't refuse.   ;)

Looking at the set again, I was intrigued by the fingerwheel, and started a topic focusing on it here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9940.0

poplar1

Quote from: JorgeAmely on August 01, 2013, 10:28:32 AM
The presentation set looks like it belongs in a museum. Very nice! Thanks for sharing Paul.

I heard there is a great phone museum on PEI. The curator might even let you keep the 149E plate. Is the 149E dated 1942? I haven't seen any 149A or 149B plates later than 1937.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

149E  IV 36

The 5JE is dated 6-42 and most of the rest of the components that have dates are II 40.

poplar1

Not many dials were made in 1942-1944. The rubber used inside cloth-covered cords was replaced with cotton. Brass gongs were changed to steel.

poplar1

Another oxidized silver 302 showed up on Ebay. Note the color code (-8) stamped on the base pan.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-Desk-Telephone-w-F1-Handset-Gold-Color-Metal-Body-/191596829562

While oxidized silver was one of the 5 original colors for B1 handset mountings, matching silver cords (H3C-8 for example) apparently were introduced  only c. 1939 for 302s (shown in Catalog #10, 1939). (Anyone seen a silver H3B-8 cord on a 102/202?)

Plastic color sets, which were introduced in 1941, had 5J dials, with clear finger wheels. The clear finger wheels replaced the earlier (1937?-1940) stainless steel finger wheels furnished on 5J dials.

However, metallic color sets continued to use 5H dials with matching cases and finger wheels (5HB-8, for example) even in 1941-1942. Many metallic color (oxidized silver, dark gold, statuary bronze) 302s remanufactured in the 1950s did have 5J dials with clear finger wheels. The clear plungers  indicate that this phone was probably remanufactured after 1947. The 1939-1942 color sets did not have clear plungers.

I'm not sure that the dial is correct, since the finger wheel is neither painted oxidized silver color (-8), nor clear plastic. It appears to have a stainless finger wheel as introduced in 1937 for the 4J and 5J dials, but the short finger stop indicates a post-1944 dial. Also, while the stainless finger wheels are found on ivory 202s and 302s from 1937, it seems out of place on a metallic color painted 302.

Do you think the cords pictured are silver (-8) or ivory (-4)?

(Sorry about the photos, they are too large (.png) files.