News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

35A11 Keypad on a WE 2500

Started by CD500, June 29, 2019, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD500

I have a 35A11 keypad that I'm attempting to wire up in place of the 72H3A on my Western Electric 2500. I've wired the phone as close to this diagram as possible (4228B network, subbed "S" in place of "E2" ) and I'm getting a dial tone,but it's faint. When I press a key it stops the dial tone while the key is pressed, but I hear no tone from the key press,and as soon as the key is released the dial tone is back. Basically it won't break dial tone or generate tones,but I can tell the keypad does something. Phone worked just fine with the 72H3A but I don't like low travel keypads.

HarrySmith

Have you tried reversing the line wires? Just swap L1 & L2. May be polarity sensitive.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

CD500

Tried that,no change. Now I'm trying it on a different phone altogether because I was having issues with my hook switch when I put the 72H3A back in the first phone. The dial tone is normal volume and steady now,but it acts exactly as a 2500 with an out of tune 35 keypad. No tones on key presses,but a break in the dial tone while pressing a key.

Key2871

S, and E terminals are simple the points on a network. If it's an electronic dial, most have a point on the back of the dial where a switch lead from the hook switch is placed. That's part of the polarity guard. If your dial has that remove the brown switch lead from C on the network and put it on the terminal on the backside of the dial. With everything else connected as it should be, the dial should work.
KEN

CD500

The diagram calls for both the brown and white leads from the hookswitch to be connected to the dial at two terminals.Which I have done,and tried reversing with no change in symptoms.

Key2871

Those are pretty fool proof, so if your getting a faint dial tone.. Either you have a couple wires wrong, a bad network, or sounds like a bad dial... I have an 72 H dial if you're interested, it does work and I have instructions to connect it.
Send me a pm if interested. I also have ITT Electronic dials, all tested.
KEN

CD500

I have a 72H3A dial that works fine on it,I just don't like the key feel.

Key2871

Yea those are very stiff. The ITT has a nice travel, and nice soft feel, kind of like the older mechanical dial pads, but it all electronic, and a very reliable dial pad as well.
KEN

andre_janew

I got a 2500 to break dial tone by reversing the transmitter wires inside the phone.  It doesn't do any good to reverse them inside the handset.  It has to be done inside the phone.  Why it has to be done inside the phone or why it worked, I have no idea. 

Key2871

I wonder if it has something to do with the network..
Obviously the dial is a bit finicky.. But hey if it works why not.
KEN

CD500

Swapping around transmitter leads didn't help,I've tried a different ringer,network and hook switch,I guess the keypad is bad.

poplar1

I am not familiar with the S-C 35A11 dial. However, when changing from a WE 72H dial to a WE 35 Y3D, the connections are different:

35Y3D              72H3A

Brown Hookswitch:       C.         D (terminal on back of dial)

Red transmitter.           T.          R.

Black transmitter.         B.          T.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.