News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Forget me not blue Type 33 ringer

Started by stub, August 28, 2016, 11:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Here's my type 33 ringer before , then after 18 hrs in Dot 3 brakefluid .    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

oldguy

Wow being the a retired auto mechanic, I always considered brake fluid as being detrimental to almost anything. That's really good information, thanks stub.
Gary

WEBellSystemChristian

Looks great!

Now all you need is a matching Type 83 Spacemaker! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

stub

I gotta find the box it's in  !!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: stub on August 29, 2016, 10:45:27 AM
I gotta find the box it's in  !!!!   stub

It's supposed to be "Forget Me Not", but it looks like someone forgot :D

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

I saw a Type 183 spacemaker in Garnet Red at the flea market a few weeks ago. It had a soft plastic handset, but a later clear fingerwheel (probably replaced). It was marked $65. Should I have gotten it?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

stub

I paid more than that each for the two I have !!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Larry,
          I can take two steps and :o forget  :o ! I did find the FNB 183 and cords , hooked it up and it works great.  The phone is not as blue as the ringer box , may need to polish  :'( .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Stub....I have a 57 all date Mach pink 500 set that some idiot painted red. Easy off did nothing. Do you think this will do it?...thanks Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
          This ringer box was dated 1970 ( hard plastic) and the paint was latex , if you have soft plastic I don't think I would try it.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Being married is a wonderful thing. I told Jan there was a chance we could get the paint off using brake fluid. She purchased the phone at Brimfield three of four years ago. It was her baby. Before I could tell her no brake fluid on a soft plastic set, she did it herself. Didn't cover the vermillion with Vaseline. Oh No!!!!

No...Oh yes...it worked and here are the results.

Dated 12/57 throughout and it works!!

Gentleman...your wife's are always right....like you didn't know that!!!....Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
        Fantastic !!! Now we know for sure it works!!!! Great job Jan !!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

I've always heard that a bath in brake fluid removes paint though I am not certain about Polane. I have also heard that the plastic needs to be hard ABS phone plastic not Soft Plastic.

Stub:
Did you know that was a FMN Blue 33 when you bought it? Nice find. All I ever get here are Sand Beige or Ivory 33's. I have a painted Turquoise 33 but it is the opposite of yours, Turquoise paint on Sand Beige plastic.

Christian:
Yeah you should have bought it. I had only one 183, a turquoise one. I decided to start trying to get one in each color. The next one I saw was a Garnet Red for $85 in an Antique Shop near home. They wouldn't deal at all and I had hoped to pay less than that for each one so I passed on it. About a year later I had acquired every color including gray but still no Garnet Red. The antique store had sold it before I checked there again and any other Garnet Red 183's that I saw on eBay went for rediculous prices. I finally snagged one on eBay for somewhere in the $150-$175 range. Ironically I only paid about $30 for what is usually much harder to find, a Dawn Gray Spacesaver.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Yes I knew it was FNB and offered 15. for it and they accepted. It had a frequency ringer in it which I replaced.   
          So that was you that got the Dawn Gray 183 for that cheap !!!! I bet you were grinning when I sent you that PM about it going so cheap. ;D  Have a good one !!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

How long ago was that Stub? Must have been before you were looking for 183's in each color.,I've probably had mine for 8-10 years now. I stumbled on it on eBay but I had one other person bidding against me. It never took off in price though and I won it for a surprisingly low price. One thing about it that may have not appealed to other bidders was that it had a beige receiver cap and a black handset cord on it. Fortunately I had a spare gray handset with a cord for it.

Is that a Jade Green in your picture beside the Turquoise less dial set or is it another turquoise that is a bit darker? I think you are still looking for a Jade Green as well as a Dawn Gray?

Terry