"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) phone service and pulse dialing

Started by Konrad, January 07, 2009, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Quote from: poplar1 on September 26, 2013, 10:32:54 AM
I think it's dsk who suggested rewiring a WE 500 set by using the off-normal contacts (white dial leads) to short the entire phone (as in AE 40s and WE 302s) rather than just the receiver. The 10A dial on a Trimline doesn't have the additional contacts since *most* people don't try to listen and dial at the same time.

Yes that's right. My guess are still; we need to increase the voltage difference between just off-hook and rotated dial in hold position. The Trimline doesn't have any anything making it possible to sense that. Now its time for experimenting, how to solve that without ruining the phone.
At this moment I have no solution.

dsk

Babybearjs

for anyone who is interested, Arris has a Cable Modem thats reverse compatable and it works pretty good, its the Arris TG-862G Cable modem. Go to www.arris.com for details.
John

markosjal

do you mean the Arris modem accepts Pulse dialing?

I know with asterisk i use the UTStarcom IAN-02ex on rotar phones and it works
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

Looking at this page.....
https://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html

What about TT pads that have all wires? It says thge "F" corresponds to green wire but what if the TT pad has all wires and no terminals?

Author is quick to recommend cutting of "all" other wires but I suspect on many tt pads that terminal corresponds to a wire.

HarrySmith

I have used that method on a few phones, it works great. He does have a list of recommended pads, I would guess not all would work for this.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

He states the following:

"Make sure the pad you use has a diode bridge (polarity guard) so your finished phone won't be polarity sensitive.  Figs. 1a-1c are recommended units.

Figs. 1a and 1b are pads from Premier 2500 phones, made by North Supply.

Fig. 1c is an ITT #42 pad (my favorite).

You can use a Western Electric #72 pad, but I've been told they have a high failure rate due to poor switch contacts."

When I made mine, I didn't start until I found a couple of ITT #42s and never had a problem after construction. I didn't try to re-invent his work or to bench test other TT dial pads. Just went with what he recommended and very happy with the results, using Stub's generic mod to fit all phones.

stub

I used all the tt pads that Stan listed and all worked great , I use mostly the Premier 2500 phones, made by North Supply just because I had a bunch on hand from busted phones. The ringer control also works great too on the LB phones !

https://atcaonline.com/ringercontrol.html
( dead link 01-07-22 )

stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

markosjal

Quote from: markosjal on January 17, 2018, 04:57:39 PM
Looking at this page.....
https://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html

What about TT pads that have all wires? It says thge "F" corresponds to green wire but what if the TT pad has all wires and no terminals?

Author is quick to recommend cutting of "all" other wires but I suspect on many tt pads that terminal corresponds to a wire.

How did this end up under this thread?? It was posted under its own topic and has nothing to do with VoIP rather Dtmf pads

markosjal

Quote from: Konrad on January 07, 2009, 12:48:00 PM
(snip)
...Vonage.  Much cheaper than Comcast US, Canada and parts of  Europe are unlimited.  Last time I checked a few years ago Australia was under 4 cents. ...(Snip)

If you want Australia calling, check out www.siptalk.com.au if you go to https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/107 and have a look around for "siptalk"(telecube is the same company) you can get AU DIDs for $0.55 AUD per month.

You can also choose to pay per call or per minute.

I have used this service for inbound and outbound calls for nearly six months now. Just last month I recharged the account with my second $10.00 AUD . I do admit however I do not call Australia much they usually call me (in the middle of the night) .

I must also say the call quality is STUNNING (No VoIP pun Intended) and far superior to most any AU termination and origination service I previously used. This is amazing considering  it is 60ms from my broadband connection in Mexico to my PBX in a data center in Arizona then another 170ms to siptalk for a total of 230+ms. Previously I was paying $5 USD to $6 USD per AU DID per month. I have now cut that down to a small fraction of the cost and have better call quality than ever to and from Australia. I was also able to get a Cairns DID which I was unable to get anywhere else before I found them.

I did have to have a friend in Austrailia authenticate the account with an Australian mobile number.

I am also able to pay with Paypal and I believe they will accept a USA Debit or Credit card. 

Mark

twocvbloke

This video popped up today showing the difference between copper and FIOS, mostly with dialup aspects, but also with an ITT 500 being used to dial out and receive... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImEYnuBn1oI

stub

Quote from: lp154002 on January 23, 2012, 09:39:06 PM
Hi guys. My first post, so please be gentle  ;D

I'm a CLEC engineer, so I get free VoIP service from my company. One of the ATAs we utilize even supports pulse dialing--an Innomedia 6328. The problem, of course, is the lack of # and *. I'm on a lot of conference calls throughout the week, and # is vital to entering bridge IDs and joining calls in progress.

I ended up buying a Dialgizmo to get around this, but I'm running into a problem. The two rotary phones that I use on a regular basis, a plain WE500C/D and a WE50A1 (a speaker/conference phone with a Trimline handset) do not work with the Dialgizmo for # and *. To activate # on a Dialgizmo, you pull a 1 but leave your finger at the fingerstop for two seconds, then release. When I do this on either of the WECo phones, it still just dials "1". My AE21 works perfectly with the DG.

The problem appears to be that the WECo dials are not on the line until they start pulsing, so the Dialgizmo has no idea how long I have held the dial down. I found this with the Trimline handset as I can dial a digit and hold at the fingerstop all day; it won't break dial tone until I release. I've searched the forum and found other references to that.

I've built the stand-alone DTMF pad here (http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html) and it works great, but as it requires modifying the wiring on the 500's network, I'd rather not have to settle for that--the phone won't get dial tone unless the TT pad is always wired to it.

The Rotatone looks good, but I'd like to have one solution that I can plug straight into the ATA then feed the house wiring.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making a WECo dial behave like an AE dial? I'd rather not have to request a refund for a device that I could make work with a little tinkering.

Thanks!
markosjal ,  I was trying to get lp154002's touch pad problem fixed and I forgot to quote it in my reply .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

dc4code

I REALLY hate that pulse-to-tone converters you hear the dtmf tones on the phone!! If they made one where all you here is the pulse dialing and you don't here the DTMF sounds that would be great. But I'm on Spectrum Voice and the 4 modems I've had all work flawlessly with pulse dialing. although in a few months I'm switching to AT&T Internet and an AT&T POTS Line from my local exchange :)

MMikeJBenN27

I say RESIST, and refuse to give up your regular phone service.  If enough of us insist on keeping it, the phone companies will keep it going.  If too few of us do, then they will get rid of it.  Simple as that.

dsk

They just raised the costs for POTS here so we have had IP telephony for years now (since they just closed down the copper network in some areas). I pay 1/4 of the costs of a POTS-line.  Several of my friends that kept the POTS line has got problems with the line, and when they tells the telco about the problem, they get the answer  OK, we just close down that, because we do not repair on copper lines. (not even if that is your only choice to get internet)   :-[