News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE dial type 24 with oval stamp

Started by wds, May 29, 2014, 01:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked up an AE step base candlestick and had this nice dial on it.  Has the oval stamp on the back with the type 24 marking.  The dial has the loud clicking like a WE #2 dial, except it clicks when winding the dial, then quiet on the return.  The #2 is quiet on the wind, then loud on the return.  I think this is the only AE dial I have that has the loud clicking.  I especially like the number card - plastic cover with the Strowger  logo stamped on it.  Dial was very dirty when I got it, and didn't think I could salvage the number card but it turned out real nice.  It also has the mounting tabs like a mercedes dial so it could be mounted on the early candlesticks. 
Dave

Doug Rose

I had the same dial, it clicked on the return like yours. I thought I had something, but it only went for $40 on eBay, third time around. I was kind of disappointed, but had no use for it.....Doug

Kidphone

wds

I noticed your's has a date of 1948.  Seems odd that a dial that new would still have that mercedes mount and the loud clicking.  Also I think your number plate is newer, not original.  The original number plate on mine had some cracks, so I put a newer one on, but saved the old plate.  The numbers are slightly different on the older plate, especially the 9.  I don't know what the progression was on the number plates, but the old one on mine reminded me of the numbers on a mercedes dial.

Also, mine makes the loud clicking on the wind, not the return.
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave...its gone now so I have no way to check. I do remember it being louder than the normal quite AE dials. You got a good one. ...Doug
Kidphone

wds

I don't have any immediate plans to sell it, but I have noticed a lot of interest in this older type 24.  I think AE only made these loud clicking dials for a short period. I love the dial card cover.
Dave