News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How many of you actually use your antique phones?

Started by BDM, September 21, 2008, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, how many are actually using their phones?

I have no modern phones
several at any given moment
Maybe one hooked up, when I'm in the mood
Hardly ever. Besides, they scare the kids
Heck no! Are you kidding? Display only!!

Mr. Bones

Beautiful job, and view, Dag!

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

dsk

Quote from: unbeldi on July 22, 2015, 07:15:37 PM
Quote from: dsk on July 22, 2015, 04:35:01 PM
It belonged to the Coast artillery, a part of the navy. So, yes probably a ship telephone. 
dsk

Hagenuk was well known for its marine communication systems, as well as other radio transmission systems.
Can these phones be found easily? The phone is actually quite modern looking.

Never seen one for sale, on the other hand, these were installed at the fortress in 1983, (probably designed 197x?) They did put them everywhere a wall telephone could be used!

dsk

Jack Aman

I have two D1's and two 302's all house-wired to an Xlink blue tooth device.  Cell number is the only number I have. Works perfectly, dials out flawlessly, the Xlink rings all four with no problem, and I use them every day.

Tonyrotary

I answered this along time ago. Back then had a few. None currently hooked up. I really need to get a landline again. :(

Russ62

Hi,             I only have traditional phones hooked up as I don't like cordless.  Living room; AE80,  phone I first leased then bought from my first house I lived in as an adult,  also an AE21 desk stand at the bill paying desk and a Comdial/Stromberg 2500 to access menus,  kitchen, Gray 150G, hallway Western 197H, bedroom,  D1 works well  as bedside phone as ringer box is across the room under something, and not too loud and jarring in my ear.   Garage;  Western 500 nondial on long cord to also use as back yard phone. Some of these have the ringer disconnected so as not to exceed REN 5.                   Russell

Welsh

I didn't intend to collect phones but having grown up in the house my grandparents and perents lived in from 1911 or so on to the 90s, we had some really pretty cool phones. Unfortunately we didnt keep all of them when the house was sold😔but I aslo have very fond memories of them and find myself gravitating more and more as I get older to surrounding myself with those items I come across for sale when they are affordable. My grandmother was a very innovative spirit and would get old phones that were cool and turn them into house phones. Practical woman that she was she hated shouting  around the house for people and had a phone in every room of the house. As well as outside lines in kitchen livingroom basement library diningroom and two bedrooms. I guess you could say she had a phone fetish of sorts lol. Many of them were deco style wall phones with metal subset boxes that had  been painted to camoflage the boxes to match the walls.

These are the ones I have hooked up right now but have several others waiting to be connected as soon as i have the rooms ready for them.  SC/Kitchen, brass and bakelite with ringer base / livingroom , kellogg900 /bedroom. All are VOIP.

EdTel

I currently use this old Monophone that belonged to my Dad, which makes it very special to me.  I kind of like the fact that I can use a phone that is over 70 years old and it still continues to operate well.  Not to mention that I love the look of it.

dsk

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
I have one too, at my desk at home. Impressingly good quality of sound for such old device. I made a "poll" at home, and this was the most popular design without any discussion.

dsk

AL_as_needed

Two serve the main bulk of calls, a '63 500 C/D and a 554 of mixed years. When the mood strikes, I have a red nondial 500 for those calls from my Russian handlers back east, as well as a 1014 butt set hooked to an external ringer.
TWinbrook7

bobbyk

My daily driver is a 30's era WE 202. Getting through automated operators like the bank is tricky but I wouldn't trade my 202 for hundreds of modern phones. They have no soul.

CDK

I own a WE 302 H1 telephone it's from 1946 judging by the date codes on the inside of the phone are S-8-46 the only date codes that don't match are microphone RF-1 4-57 and the speaker S-7-25-46 and the line cord 5-6 D3AK II 55. The dial is a 150B I 46 which I think is a 5H dial. It's a great phone I love it very much, it works good for 70 years old and I use it daily it's more reliable than a cellphone.

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum.  In telephone talk, the microphone is, indeed a microphone, but it is historically called the transmitter.  The speaker is called a receiver.  In your phone's case, it sounds like the phone was made in 1946, judging by the dates on the receiver and the dial plate.  Transmitters and line cords were often replaced in the field by the phone company when a part failed.  Transmitters and line cords were also very prone to failure as were handset cords.

The 5H dial is appropriate for a 1946 phone.  The 150B is the designation for the number plate attached to the dial.

Hope you enjoy using the phone.
-Bill G

shadow67

I have these 3 hooked up. The 500 is on my house landline and the other 2 are on my asterisk system.

Lee David Day

I have two hooked up. The only draw back is they can't
communicate like a touch tone, "Press 1 for English, etc."
DDay

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Lee David Day on January 24, 2017, 04:02:39 PM
I have two hooked up. The only draw back is they can't
communicate like a touch tone, "Press 1 for English, etc."
DDay

Naturally, there are times when you just can't use a rotary phone, but there are alternatives:

• You can use a Panasonic 308 or 616 PBX which will at least do the 1 through 0 (but no * or #)
  • You can get a pulse to tone converter
  • You can hook a touch-tone pad via an adjunct tone pad connected to the line
  • You can use a modern phone for times when you need to call somewhere that needs the tones
  • You can use a 1500 or 2500 or equivalent as your old phone
-Bill G