News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DialGizmo speed dial programming ... is there a trick?

Started by bnaOldPhones, March 26, 2017, 10:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnaOldPhones

My setup is an AE 40 connected to a Comcast eMTA through a DialGizmo.  The DialGizmo works great, except for one thing.  I can't program the speed dials for anything but a local number.  Anything longer than about 7 digits, and the Comcast box decides I'm confused, breaks the connection, and switches me to a fast-busy signal ... which stops the DialGizmo programming session. 

I've tried programming in a call, but that doesn't seem to work for some reason.  Dialing one number and then trying to program a speed dial dumps me out to a fast-busy after only 5 seconds.

Would it be possible to just connect my setup to a 9V battery (instead of my eMTA, that is), to convince the DialGizmo that I'm off hook and let it stay that way long enough to program the speed dials?  9V would be within the legitimate off hook voltage range, wouldn't it?  Or would the DG need to see the 48V to 10V voltage drop to know that I'm off hook?

bnaOldPhones

Figured it out.  The trick is to wait until the connection break and the fast busy, *then* start the speed dial programming.  The DialGizmo doesn't care whether there's a dial tone or a fast busy, it only messes up when it sees the connection break from the eMTA.