News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OPENING A CANDLESTICK FOR INSPECTION & EVALUATION

Started by Phonegal, September 29, 2016, 05:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonegal

Question: On an 85-90 year old phone that may not have been opened for many decades (I’m referring to the stick btw) and may be, in a manner of speaking, fused, what remedy can anyone recommend to facilitate moving the stick? After the screw on the side of the stick is removed, how does one proceed? Should a lubricant be used and if so, what might it be? Also, which wires (if any) should be disconnected first.

The phone in question is from Kellogg and I've attached a photograph.

Also, where on this site would I find info regarding the Kellogg phone in question? Thanks in advance

rdelius

If you want to inspect the inside,do not remove the side screw.it might cause issues.remove the 2 screws that hold in the bottom cover to inspect the terminal strip and switch. remove the 4 screws around the tranmitter assy to look inside

LarryInMichigan

The sleeve which covers the shaft on that phone is made of very thin and extremely fragile material ("Kellite").  It is best to leave it on the shaft because removing it is very difficult without damaging it. 

Larry

AE_Collector

LarryInMichigan

As far as I am aware, "kellite" was Kellogg's brand of bakelite.  Kellogg's catalog describes their receiver shells and other such things as being made of kellite.

Larry