News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unexpected Second Chance offer

Started by Greg G., June 29, 2013, 03:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I put what I thought was a token bid on this NIB SC Intercom and ended up winning it.  I didn't bookmark it and forgot about it, thinking it would go for much more.  Price was $50 plus shipping.

But, here's the thing.  After my awful experience with my Beehive phone, I'm nervous about phones being shipped.  Granted, this isn't a Beehive phone with a very fragile shell, the body is metal and it has a wooden backboard.  Here are my instructions to the seller:  

QuoteHi John

Thanks for the second chance offer.  Please pack this item very carefully.  I don't often buy vintage phones online because of bad experiences with poorly packed phones that arrived damaged beyond repair, consequently I get a little nervous with something like this.  Please wrap the handset separately (small bubble wrap works well) and DO NOT put it on the cradle.  The rest of it will need padding on ALL sides.  Bubble wrap works best, wadded paper is NOT good padding.  I'm willing to pay a little extra for shipping so long as it's packed well.  Thanks!

Greg G.

It should be here in about a week or so, keeping my fingers crossed.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

Very cool intercom! I like the looks of the old intercoms, I would like to get one hooked up one day!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on June 29, 2013, 03:35:06 PM
I put what I thought was a token bid on this NIB SC Intercom and ended up winning it.  I didn't bookmark it and forgot about it, thinking it would go for much more.  Price was $50 plus shipping.

Nice buy, and great find! Hopefully, I will arrive in great shape!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

I got a response from the seller, sounds good so far:

QuoteThank you for the order.....As you know the phone comes packed in it's original box.....We will wrap the handset as you requested.....As far as put bubble wrap on the phone itself, that's a hard one to do...you see the phone fits into the packing box it was shipped in.....our plans are to put enough bubble wrap in the phone box, then wrap the box itself and put it in side a larger box.....We will make sure that it will not move around in the outer box....I will look for an extra heavy box tomorrow.....I will also weight it and tell you if there is any additional cost....
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Very well packed too, I'm pleased!
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

More pics.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

There was one screw in the bottom of the inner box that was loose.  There were two impressions of screws in the cardboard, but I think it was the same screw that just shifted positions.  I checked the box carefully for another one, there was just the one.  May not even belong to the phone.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I just noticed that the box said it can be wall mounted.  I couldn't see how that was done until I looked at it more closely.  I guess you would have to reposition the cradle and switch hook to where that back plug is.  There's a tab on the back that just pulls off to reposition the line cord.
- Mike Row
e