News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

Here are the answers to your earlier questions, I thought my reply had posted with those, for which I apologize for overlooking those.

The original wiring was cloth in the local battery version before I converted it.

The wiring for the conversion was changed to plastic on all but the condenser and ringer.

The condenser is part D-68849A and has 4mf for talking and .4mf for ringing, and is marked "Automatic Electric" BN on its side.
The D-56515A ringer uses a .4mf condenser.

The hookswitch blocks were chrome with no holes for lift butler, and the plungers are chrome. The dial mounts are molded into the base.

The gold water decal reads Automatic Electric, Chicago 7. USA- Made In USA.

It has 6 patent numbers plus the DES number on it.Since it is damaged,it's hard to read.

I hope I haven't missed anything this time.

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

Yes, "jrs" said there were chrome handset bands on his.

I went back and answered your questions posted earlier; I tried to post them earlier, but I guess the system overlooked them, not posting them right away.

Kindest apologies for the inconvenience.

AE_Collector

Quote from: unbeldi on January 08, 2017, 05:48:53 PM
Yes indeed.  Somewhere I have a picture of a 41 type handset with painted brass bands.  Perhaps it was even from the Forum.

Here ya go. Not from CRPF but from my kitchen.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on January 08, 2017, 05:48:53 PM
Yes indeed.  Somewhere I have a picture of a 41 type handset with painted brass bands.  Perhaps it was even from the Forum.

It is also interesting that the set already has the 'butler' handle.  The patent wasn't assigned until May 1940 (US2200810 1940 1938 Sengebusch AEL--Desk Telephone Set), so either the set was converted later, or they installed it anyways, even without holding the patent.

There is a way to test this.  A complaint of the early handles was that they slipped out easily when not carried carefully.  The two side bars with the pivot stubs/axles at the end could easily be pushed together and this caused the set to fall off.  In a later patent they corrected this so that the pivot rod stubs locked into the cradle block when lifted.

Jrs1958

Chrome handset bands.  Not original?

Jrs1958

And yes, the handle slips out easily. I never pick it up by the handle!

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

I've seen  brass bands done that way before, and had a couple AE40's with that, myself.

RotoTech99

AE_Collector

Quote from: unbeldi on January 08, 2017, 06:14:44 PM
It is also interesting that the set already has the 'butler' handle.  The patent wasn't assigned until May 1940 (US2200810 1940 1938 Sengebusch AEL--Desk Telephone Set), so either the set was converted later, or they installed it anyways, even without holding the patent.

There is a way to test this.  A complaint of the early handles was that they slipped out easily when not carried carefully.  The two side bars with the pivot stubs/axles at the end could easily be pushed together and this caused the set to fall off.  In a later patent they corrected this so that the pivot rod stubs locked into the cradle block when lifted.

It would seem quite likely to me that they would go ahead and use something newly designed even if they didn't yet have the patent. I always used to see Patent Pending or Patent applied for on things though maybe not telephones necesarily.

I didn't realize that they had corrected the original flaw in the design. The pins on the handle must have incorporated a "key" so that he handle had to be inserted in "stored" position and then when rotated into the "in use" position the pins couldn't pull out of the blocks. I have never seen that version though I haven't seen very many Butler Handles. In reality it may never have gotten off the ground as the more familiar "carry bar" handle must have arrived very soon afterwards and everything likely went in that direction from then on.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: Jrs1958 on January 08, 2017, 06:16:32 PM
And yes, the handle slips out easily. I never pick it up by the handle!

Here is how they corrected the problem in 1944:  US2398850 1946 1944 Obergfell AEL--Desk Telephone Set

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jrs1958 on January 08, 2017, 06:14:45 PM
Chrome handset bands.  Not original?

Well they may not be but they certainly could be as well. Chrome was an option right from the beginning as far as I can tell. Even on the previous type 38 handset that all had black brass bands, chromed bands were an option.

The number card is the correct one for an early AE40 as well. The smallest are to write the phone number. There were medium sized and then large sized areas to write the number on later number cards.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 08, 2017, 06:22:07 PM
It would seem quite likely to me that they would go ahead and use something newly designed even if they didn't yet have the patent. I always used to see Patent Pending or Patent applied for on things though maybe not telephones necesarily.

I didn't realize that they had corrected the original flaw in the design. The pins on the handle must have incorporated a "key" so that he handle had to be inserted in "stored" position and then when rotated into the "in use" position the pins couldn't pull out of the blocks. I have never seen that version though I haven't seen very many Butler Handles. In reality it may never have gotten off the ground as the more familiar "carry bar" handle must have arrived very soon afterwards and everything likely went in that direction from then on.

Terry

Good point, I think I have not seen that patent show up in a decal yet.  I have to devise an easier way to present the data... Not possible today.

Indeed, the new lifting bar, or at least a version of it, was applied for in 1945, and published in 1947:  US2430276 1947 1945 Candy AEL--Desk Telephone Lifting Device

AE_Collector

I can see in the drawings on the patent for the improved Butlers Handoe how they added a protrusion to the handle and a keyed slit in the plunger blocks for it to engage with. Also a protrusion on the back edge of the plunger blocks to prevent the handle from rotating further than straight upwards. I have never seen these type of blocks or the keyed handle in existence.

I also note a period of just over two years between what is likely he date submitted and the date the patent was approved. So if that is typical it would seem normal to begin using the new design long before a patent was granted in most cases.

Terry

Jrs1958

Close up of butler's handle

RotoTech99

Dear jrs1958:

The photos you sent, and the current one look pretty good.

I think your information and photos will help this topic a lot, thank you
RotoTech99

Jrs1958

Let me know if you'd like any other details or photos