"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 questions photos to make sure it is up to snuff

Started by troydog, August 09, 2011, 12:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troydog

HI

I just got this today in the mail. So before I hook it up I want to ask the gods here if everything looks ok with it.

Also the bottom headset cup looks wrong it is a F1 phone dated 11/40 but bottom cup is dates 2/59 and is shinny not flat looking.

Other thing about cords should they be cloth? These are plastic.

Also next to network is a odd box thing hope photos help here what is it?

Other last question so far how to remove the cover for the dial card? It has a plastic clear window.

Dennis Markham

Troy, everything looks normal.  Did you mean bottom CAP (not cup)??  The cap, if dated 1959 could be plastic instead of Bakelite.  Thus the reason it is shinier.  

Not sure what you mean about the "odd box thing".  Are you talking about the small terminal strip with the wires attached?  Or are you referring to the silver thing held down by a bracket?  The silver thing is the 195A condenser.

One thing I might suggest is to adjust the ringer's "bias tension spring".  Look at the ringer, between the gongs.  See the copper colored springy thin wire?  It is currently all the way to the left position.  Center that.  Simply lift up the end of the wire and place it in the center notched position.  I'm sure your phone will ring better in that position.  If it doesn't then you can move it back or try the nothing to the other side of center.  But more than likely it will work best centered.

As far as the cords, anything goes.  Although yours appears to have started out its life in 1940.  It looks like the chassis date is 6-40, the F1 has a 1940 date on it as well.  Your Induction Coil is dated III of 40 (third quarter of 1940).  Parts often got changed and would be updated when change was made.  It may have had a brown cloth cord in the beginning.  It could have a vinyl straight cord or a coiled cord and still be correct.  The dial looks like a #5 dial.

As far as removing the dial card retainer ring, you will note a small tab at the top of that ring.  Carefully push the tab downward while pulling the ring away.  The bottom is attached by a similar "L" shaped tab.  You often see scratches on the finger wheel there where a sharp object like a screw driver is used to push the tab down while pulling away on the ring.

troydog

Thanks for the help

Ok phone works I can call out talk and all that stuff. But ringer does not work at all. The phone system here does not use yellow wire at all or black just green red they even cut yeloow and black outside at the box.

I am lost on this one here on why the ringer will not ring.

edit to add got ringer to work. But is it safe this way?

I had to on the plug at the wall the cord from the phone has red green yellow. I had to put red and yellow together for it to ring. Is this safe? The inside wall jacks only got green and red they cut black yellow here darn them.

Doug Rose

Quote from: troydog on August 09, 2011, 07:38:50 PM
Thanks for the help

Ok phone works I can call out talk and all that stuff. But ringer does not work at all. The phone system here does not use yellow wire at all or black just green red they even cut yeloow and black outside at the box.

I am lost on this one here on why the ringer will not ring.

edit to add got ringer to work. But is it safe this way?

I had to on the plug at the wall the cord from the phone has red green yellow. I had to put red and yellow together for it to ring. Is this safe? The inside wall jacks only got green and red they cut black yellow here darn them.

Troy...use the red and green wires from the phone to the red and green wires on the jack. Yellow wire from the phone you can wire  with the green from the phone to the green in the wall. If that doesn't work, put the yellow wire with the red from the phone. Your phone will ring....good luck....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Kidphone

troydog

Works great.

But if I change the lone cord to a new cloth one with the  modular plug at the wall end. How would I do the ringer.

Right now it is yellow and red together along with old green at the wall.

So inside the phone would I jump a wire from the red to where the yellow was. Or move the wire from the yellow screw to the red inside the phone.

If it is to hard to do I will order spade to spade cord lol

Also hate asking so many question but I can say I did rebuild the dieal myself lol.

Here are the 2 cords I am looking at anyone order from them.
http://www.phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&gorl=group&group=misc&category=Cords&topic=02005

Or going with what is on it now I think this is the right old style cord never knew they made so many types.
http://www.phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&gorl=group&group=misc&category=Cords&topic=02002

Wallphone

Troydog, I can't see what type of strain relief is on the first cord but I don't think that you want the kind that is on the second cord. For the WE 302 you will want one that looks more like an "S" hook. Check these ones out from OPW. < http://tinyurl.com/3lky8bd > If you order the one for a Western Electric phone it should have the correct relief on it.
Doug Pav

Tom B

Troydog
For the line cord you only need to use the red and green. You can leave the ringer wires where they are and just install the new line cords - red to L1 on the induction coil and green to L2.
Tom

troydog

Wow got it. I just for now used the old cord on it to test.

Here is what I had to do to make it ring

Next to network is another square pad with 2 screws.

On it is the ringer wires. I removed the wire yeloow from the bottom screw along with what looked like red.

Took that red wire over to the network hook it to L1 with the other red wires.

phone rings without yellow wire now.