News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

my first pay phone

Started by garyh, August 03, 2014, 01:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyh

hi all , new to collecting and very green when it comes to working on phones my first was a w.e. linemans phone which needed very little to get working at home so I came across a w.e. single slot 1D at a flea market and I thought I would give it a try.     1st.  thing I had to do was get a new plug for tb2 ,picked up whole board on e-bay and changed it over plugged it in and got dial tone but shortly after turned into a busy signal. hanging up phone does not break signal ,I have to unplug and replug to get back to dial tone.  I somehow managed to make one call out but didn't last long before disconnecting and was able to call in with ringer working but also soon disconnected. I took phone apart and looked at all the wires and they seem to be in good shape.any thoughts on what I might try next would be helpful , I've read through a lot of posts on this site and tried some wireing changes on tb2 and reversing tip and ring connection but to no avail again, any help to a rookie would be helpful thank you       

Greg G.

Congrats on your first payphone!  My first payphone was a similar one, except I was lucky that it was complete and fully functioned as a regular phone.  Can't help you with the trouble-shooting, sorry to say, but I'm sure somebody here who can will pipe in.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Welcome to the forum.
I do not know your payphone, but I am sure we may get it up and working.
I have finished my first payphone project just in the start of the summer: http://tinyurl.com/l7yvet3
Yours look like its made with less, or more covered electronics.

dsk

garyh

thanks brinybay and dsk , still working on it and trying different things in the meantime picked these up at local antique mall ,cleaned them up and got them both working . the w.e. ringer was labeled as a door bell so I got pretty cheap 

dsk

Great!
By the way my wild guess are the payphone problem is in the validator unit.
dsk

garyh

thanks dsk    I'm gonna take it all apart as soon as I can and see if maybe something sticking or maybe not able to make contact or bad wire ? 

dsk

It is a little low activity here now, but I am sure someone knows your phone version. If you spend some time looking around at the TCI library http://tinyurl.com/2auwux7 you may get what you need of info.

dsk

Kimball321

I'm pretty sure that its a 1c1 because it says DTF on the chassis.  But the information plate looks like it's from an e postpay type single slot.
I collect payphones :)

Argee

I have a similar unit, Here's a few shots of the wiring blocks, so you can double check the wiring.

Upper housing

lower housing 1

lower housing 2

garyh

thanks dsk gonna give the library a look . argee your pics are very similar tb2 on upper chassi wiring looks a bit different than what I have .gonna blow up your pic and try that set up and see what happens.      thanks all