News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bluetooth handset on a 302 base...

Started by jeremylivin, January 09, 2014, 09:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremylivin

Now before everyone cries that I ruined a good 302 let me explain...

I had a 302 body that was in horrible shape, missing the internals, dial, and cords, didn't have a handset.  So I decided to refurb it to use as a base for my imitation 302 Bluetooth handset that I use at work (with a tablet pc for phone calls).

So I cleaned up the otherwise trashed base and dressed it up as best I could to at least serve out it's remaining days as a quasi-phone.

Hope the attachment works...
Jeremy Livingston

twocvbloke

Pretty neat idea... :)

Certainly better than turning it into a lamp phone... ;D

Tom B

Nice piece of work. You certainly did the right thing.
Tom

Russ Kirk

I like the idea and it turned out well.

What did you use for the bluetooth connection between the handset and the base?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Phonesrfun

Russ:

I think he was saying that the handset interracts with his tablet, and the base is just an aesthetically-correct thing to place it on when not in use.  That is to say that the base is just there for looks, and does not have anything in it.  Jeremy, correct me if I am wong.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Where did you find the imitation F1 bluetooth handset?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 10, 2014, 02:22:23 PM
Russ:

I think he was saying that the handset interracts with his tablet, and the base is just an aesthetically-correct thing to place it on when not in use.  That is to say that the base is just there for looks, and does not have anything in it.  Jeremy, correct me if I am wong.

Ahhh, I got it... Thanks!
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

twocvbloke

HarrySmith

Did you build the Bluetooth into the handset? If so please explain how. Be sure to include
"8 X 10 glossy color photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining each one"!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

I don't believe there's anything electronic inside the base, but, it wouldn't be hard to fit a USB extension cable (black, of course) inside the base with a bluetooth receiver on it... :)

twocvbloke

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 10, 2014, 05:53:10 PM
Did you build the Bluetooth into the handset?

I really ought to read things properly, I thought you said the base...... :o

Anyway, turning a real handset into a bluetooth one, I'm not entirely sure it'd work as the receivers tend to be pretty low powered, so might not be able to operate a carbon microphone and the speaker in a standard handset, that's why it's easier just to buy a cheap modern lookalike... ;D

HarrySmith

I wired a 2.5MM plug on the end of a modular cord and plugged a G handset into my smartphone, it worked fine :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

That usually does work, but a bluetooth receiver tends not to have that big a battery considering the space it has to be installed in, so might not operate for very long...  :-\

jeremylivin

In this case the handset is just a cheap $20 plastic one from think geek.com

The base doesn't have anything inside of it. It had been completely trashed when I found it.  I couldn't think of any useful way to use the base and I already have several others.

I'm currently working on restoring a metal 302 to original condition.  I'll post pictures when I'm done.
Jeremy Livingston

Dan/Panther

Does anyone know where to get an F1 style plastic handset like in the original post. I know you can buy WE500 style, but the F1 is interesting.
Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson