News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Telephone Book

Started by Fabius, July 16, 2014, 11:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Interesting coffee table sized book by H.M. Boettinger. It's on half.com at very cheap prices. Lowest price for one was 75 cents plus shipping.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dan/Panther

Do you have the book ?
Are there a lot of photos ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Owain

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 16, 2014, 01:26:02 PM
Do you have the book ?
Are there a lot of photos ?
D/P

I do, and although it's packed in boxes at the moment I think there are sufficient pretty pictures to look at for amusement, but it's not a picture-book.

WesternElectricBen

I have the book, but I honestly haven't looked inside it.

Ben

Doug Rose

Its a decent book, I would get it. The Donner Books are the best, but this is very good. I try to get any I don't have. They make good reading, especially when you go back and know a lot more then you did when you first read it...Doug
Kidphone

wds

I have this book also.  It's a good history book, lots of pictures, but not good for researching phones.  Definitely worth 75 cents.
Dave

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 16, 2014, 06:33:22 PM
Its a decent book, I would get it. The Donner Books are the best, but this is very good. I try to get any I don't have. They make good reading, especially when you go back and know a lot more then you did when you first read it...Doug

Dooner takes good photos, but she made a lot of mistakes with the descriptions. Kinda reminds me of an article written by a former employee of a trashy tabloid in Montréal. He said they were given photos, then they had to make up a story to go with the pictures.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David...when I first started collecting the Donner books had my dream phones. You go back later and see how many dream phones you acquired. The pics are what did it for me and I really didn't catch to many mistakes, for simple lack of knowledge on my part...Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

I ordered "The Telephone Book". It came today.
If you have a copy or are going to get one, check out the Sacrilege on page 179.

D/P

New England Tel.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 21, 2014, 05:59:46 PM
I ordered "The Telephone Book". It came today.
If you have a copy or are going to get one, check out the Sacrilege on page 179.

D/P

Are you referring to the modular handset, or the busted dial?
-Bob Archambault

Dan/Panther

Mainly the hard wired cord, installed in the modular handset.
To be honest I didn't see the dial is stopped between 8 and 9.
I think the book has a load of historic photos many I have never seen before. I do not think the book is intended as a collectors reference.
The book is VERY good. Mine is in near mint with a perfect dust cover. I highly recommend it.
I paid slightly over 75 cents for it though.

D/P

WesternElectricBen

On page 176 there is a "1937 302," but it has a F1 handset with vynal cords.

Ben

poplar1

Soon after the G15A (modular) handset was introduced in 1972, the same handle was used for both G15s and G3s (hardwired).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.